community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Weekly Challenge
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.
Getting started with Designer? | Start your journey with our new Learning Path!

Challenge #4: Date Parsing

Alteryx Partner

Asteroid

All,

I used a bit of a waterfall method in my approach.

-First, two of the dates use hyphens (-), so I was able to use Tex to Columns to parse those, and then use left and right in order to gather the rest of the date.

-The third, used a comma, so I was able to parse the comma and then use Text to Column to grab the year and day on either side.

-Finally, I had to use Regex for the final date.

-Again, I have created my solutions to use a little custom code as possible.

-Cheers!

Matt

Alteryx Certified Partner

My solution - not a complete solution by any means, but it works for all the variations of dates included in the challenge

Asteroid

Not pretty, but solved

Meteoroid

I liked this challenge.

Spoiler
My one roadblock was finding a way to evaluate MM-dd-yyyy separately from dd-MM-yyyy. Eventually I realized I could just duplicate my workflow and run it twice (once per case).
Spoiler
layout.png

Asteroid
Spoiler
gn_challenge_4.png

My solution uses more tools but there is less code and it is easier to understand - it leverages the power of the DateTime tool

Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
Spoiler.PNG
Meteoroid
Spoiler
bk_challenge4.png
Highlighted
Alteryx Partner

Solution attached.

Spoiler
screenshot challenge 4.png