Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #370: Buzz Buzz

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

A solution to last week's challenge can be found here.

This challenge was submitted by Alteryx ACE Esther Bezborodko @estherb47 . Thank you, Esther! 

Use Designer Desktop or Designer Cloud, Trifacta Classic to solve this week's challenge.

Buzz Buzz Image.pngThis challenge is a variation on the New York Times Spelling Bee puzzle. For this challenge, we will use the same list of words we used in Challenge #356.

Although Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary defines a pangram as “a short sentence containing all 26 letters of the English alphabet,” for the purposes of the New York Times Spelling Bee, their  Glossary defines a pangram as a word that uses seven unique letters and is worth seven extra points. We will use this definition as a guide for our challenge.

Your goal here is to find, within the list of words, the pangram with the highest point value and the individual letters that comprise that word. For that, you need to do the following:

1.  Find all the words within the list with seven unique letters. It does not matter if the word uses a unique letter more than once; this letter will still be unique within the word. For example: 

•   Alteryx has seven unique letters.

•    Statistically also has seven unique letters.

1.  Once you find the words with seven unique letters, determine their point value. Each letter is worth one point. For a pangram, the point value is calculated by adding 7 to the value for the length of the word. For example, in ALTERYX, the total value is 14 points (7 [the word length] + 7 [pangram extra points]).

The result should look like this:

Answer image.png

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
A few too many tools, but going for speed to submit this as opposed to fewest tools :)
patrick_digan_0-1683551813927.png

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Solution attached.

Spoiler
The highest value word you can get in NY's Spelling Bee uses letters: deinsrt
PhilipMannering_0-1683552221942.png

In the Python Tool,

Spoiler
PhilipMannering_0-1683553253578.png

MilindG
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
MilindG_0-1683552507522.png

Flo_P
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Noticed a bit late that I need to include the unique letters, which is why I branched off the flow instead of changing prior 🙂
Flo_P_0-1683552688745.png

Flo_P_1-1683552723751.png

binuacs
20 - Arcturus
Spoiler
binuacs_0-1683553194903.png

Milanz
8 - Asteroid

my solution ;-)

Spoiler
Milanz_0-1683553454430.png

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My solution.

Spoiler
AkimasaKajitani_0-1683553535042.png

LynnPätzold
8 - Asteroid

Fun one. But I definitely could optimize mine. 

Spoiler
Solution.PNG

nSpire
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
nSpire_0-1683553779700.png