Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #37: Parsing a Raw XML File

RoDO
8 - Asteroid

My solution

Spoiler
challenge_37_RODO_Solution.png
SueDonim
8 - Asteroid

Don't really understand why I could not see the shipping data (even when I copied the input into Excel).  But when run through Text to Columns, it is there.  Even so, I was able to get pretty good solution

Spoiler
Process:
- Data cleanup to get rid of a couple of unneeded fields
- Add Record IDs for later cross-tab
- First Text to Columns: Split to Rows on "<" - this provides what will become the Field Name (but currently includes the Values as well - separated by ">")
- Second Text to Columns: Split to Columns on ">" - this splits the field name from the values
- Formula adds "Bill to" or "Ship to" to the values field (enabling a cross-tab to be employed to split these values)
- Data Cleansing - to get rid of whitespace that was messing up the filter
- Filter to remove records where values are empty
- Two Crosstabs - on Record ID, and other common data, columns are headers, values are values (the two columns derived above)
  -- First one takes the first value - Billing info
  -- Second one takes the last value - Shipping info
- Join on Record ID
- Select to get rid of un-needed fields, rename, and re-order (I know, I could have used embedded select in the Join, but I am working on limited screen real estate and found this simpler)
- Formula to create Null for phone and email are same for Billing and Shipping (although it seems to be based on just the phone)

MySolution.PNG

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Reposting to add attachment.  NOTE:  This was completed prior to changes noted in thread start.

Spoiler
Workflow 37.GIF

justindavis
10 - Fireball

Unfamiliar with XML so this took a good bit longer than I wanted, but learned some new stuff

Spoiler
challenge_37_solution_justindavis.PNG
Inactive User
Not applicable

dsmdavid
11 - Bolide

Previously missing the file.

ZenonH
8 - Asteroid

Even though I've done work projects for XML using Alteryx before, I always have some difficulty sorting out structure in my head. This solution is cleaned up LOTS from my original. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
ZHSOL.png
SimonSturges
7 - Meteor

I liked this one

Spoiler
Screenshot_2019-11-10 19.55.38_M6ZmEt.png

Inactive User
Not applicable

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora