Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #37: Parsing a Raw XML File

bradp
7 - Meteor

A very interesting problem which required a bit of a different solution. Managed to validate the final answer as well. 

Spoiler
bradp_1-1609692019871.png

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

My solution

aiahwieder
8 - Asteroid

Lots of ways to crack this nut; I went a little "brute force" but I know there are more elegant solutions out there!

Hub119
8 - Asteroid

Solution attached.

BeginnerMindset
8 - Asteroid

Fun way to learn about parsing raw XML files (Not as painful as it sounds!)

Spoiler
BeginnerMindset_0-1614784625566.png

mot
11 - Bolide

Solution attached.

JP_SDAK
8 - Asteroid

In looking at other solutions, it looks like I could have streamlined this some.

Spoiler
JP_SDAK_0-1615173893235.png

LHolmes
9 - Comet

Maybe using xml parse was cheating but it was fun!

Spoiler
037 - Solution.PNG
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Included the billing reference and a record id column so there are two additional columns here... Kind of feel like REGEX may have been easier the easier route than the XML parse option that I used.

Jon_Taylor
8 - Asteroid

Can you explain (?<=\w) . I have seen "?" in a formula before but do not understand it. I see it is taking a word and i have seen the same formula take several words.

in challenge #37 I am lost with this :

The formula of the solution for challenge #37 is as follows (I had to look as I was very stuck and re-watching training over and over was not helping)

(\d{7})(.*?)\s(\w+)\s\((.*)\).*CAT:(.*) PUB:(.*?)\s\$(.*)

(\d{7})= first 7 digits     this on is easyJ

(.*?)\s(\w+)\s\((.*)\) = the game name ? and year, this part is confusing me. I see \((.*)\ this is identifying the date. Why not \(\d{4})\. Before the date (xxxx) I do not see how the formula is parsing the name and separating out the platform. The last \s I assume is the space before the date (xxxx) but I do not know what (.*?) is. I see ?: in the menu but not a ? by itself. To me this reads “any character and zero more” space \s “word and more letters” \w+. how is that saying WII Sports as a name and then NES as a publisher?

Later in the formula they use (.*?) after “PUB:”, here like at the beginning I do not see how it is pulling one word with no punctuation where at the beginning it seems to be pulling multiple words with punctuation.

Then at the end $(.*) is pulling multiply sets of numbers.

I went back through the regex training several times but cannot seem to locate these specific formula types.

Sorry for posting in the challenge, but it popped out at me. a moderator can move this if need be.