Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #37: Parsing a Raw XML File

RoDO
8 - Asteroid

My solution

Spoiler
challenge_37_RODO_Solution.png
SueDonim
8 - Asteroid

Don't really understand why I could not see the shipping data (even when I copied the input into Excel).  But when run through Text to Columns, it is there.  Even so, I was able to get pretty good solution

Spoiler
Process:
- Data cleanup to get rid of a couple of unneeded fields
- Add Record IDs for later cross-tab
- First Text to Columns: Split to Rows on "<" - this provides what will become the Field Name (but currently includes the Values as well - separated by ">")
- Second Text to Columns: Split to Columns on ">" - this splits the field name from the values
- Formula adds "Bill to" or "Ship to" to the values field (enabling a cross-tab to be employed to split these values)
- Data Cleansing - to get rid of whitespace that was messing up the filter
- Filter to remove records where values are empty
- Two Crosstabs - on Record ID, and other common data, columns are headers, values are values (the two columns derived above)
  -- First one takes the first value - Billing info
  -- Second one takes the last value - Shipping info
- Join on Record ID
- Select to get rid of un-needed fields, rename, and re-order (I know, I could have used embedded select in the Join, but I am working on limited screen real estate and found this simpler)
- Formula to create Null for phone and email are same for Billing and Shipping (although it seems to be based on just the phone)

MySolution.PNG

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Reposting to add attachment.  NOTE:  This was completed prior to changes noted in thread start.

Spoiler
Workflow 37.GIF

justindavis
10 - Fireball

Unfamiliar with XML so this took a good bit longer than I wanted, but learned some new stuff

Spoiler
challenge_37_solution_justindavis.PNG
Inactive User
Not applicable

dsmdavid
11 - Bolide

Previously missing the file.

ZenonH
8 - Asteroid

Even though I've done work projects for XML using Alteryx before, I always have some difficulty sorting out structure in my head. This solution is cleaned up LOTS from my original. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
ZHSOL.png
SimonSturges
7 - Meteor

I liked this one

Spoiler
Screenshot_2019-11-10 19.55.38_M6ZmEt.png

Inactive User
Not applicable

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora