Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #37: Parsing a Raw XML File

hanykowska
11 - Bolide

Nice XML practice

Verakso
11 - Bolide

I normally dig XML, but this was my first using the XML parsing tools in Alteryx, and I am sure, with some time, I will love then ❤️

But this was hard 💔 and not that straight forward as I thought, but here it is

Spoiler
Okay, I tried to break it down into smaller pieces, but afterwards I found out, that this is not necessary.

I also tried to make the re-naming more dynamic, but that was a half-a** attempt, since I had to do some renaming in the last join anyway 😒
First attempt to parse XMLFirst attempt to parse XML

Still climbing to Lhotse Face

/Verakso

Vidya26
8 - Asteroid

My Solution

RobertoEstrada
8 - Asteroid

My solution, I used Dynamic Rename tool to add the column prefixes.

dillon_bok
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Weekly Challenge - 37.PNG
wdavis
Alteryx
Alteryx

Challenge completed. Hadn't used the XML parse tool before so there was a bit of trial and error in there.

Used the Dynamic rename tool for the renaming of the fields, as opposed to the select tool

garthn555
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
gn_challenge_37.png

Done with a little assistance from the provided solution 🙂

RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

Well this was surely nightmarish!!

The aim is to parse this horrible file structure without having the option to rely in an input data tool (or can it somehow be done to write the .yxdb to a .xml file because I was not successful in doing that)

Here is my solution (step by step manually going through all the tags until I finally brute forced my way into something that might be considered a solution (can anyone in the community build something that parses the entire thing regardless of the amount of nested tag levels?)

Spoiler
37.png

nickjastrzebski
8 - Asteroid

A nice data clean up challenge

Spoiler
image.png
joemkcarr
8 - Asteroid

Understand XML a lot better now - thanks for the challenge!