Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #361: Cross Joins at Bedtime

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

A solution to last week's challenge can be found here.

To solve this week’s challenge, use Designer Desktop or Designer Cloud Trifacta Classic.2023-03-06_07-35-03.png

In data analytics, cross joins are not often recommended because they can cause massive amounts of data to be generated; however, there are times when they are necessary.

For this week's challenge, you are working in the warehouse for a company that sells bed frames. When bed frames are sold, there are necessary accessories that go along with them (screws, casters, tools, etc.). The manufacturer of these bed frames and accessories ships the products to your warehouse in multiple packages. The manufacturer labels the packages, but then the shipping company adds their own labels to the box, US Customs adds their own label, the trucking company adds their own label, and so on.

At the warehouse, you now have many packages, and it is difficult to determine which packages belong together. Receiving created one spreadsheet for frames and another for accessory sets that lists all the labels that were found on each package. Your job is to identify which packages belong together. To do so, you need to find packages with labels that match.

Using the datasets provided, create a workflow to determine which packages belong together. To solve this challenge, you must calculate the total number of matches.

Hint: Notice that the label A1 appears in both lists.

AYXAcademy_0-1678116677569.png

AYXAcademy_1-1678116677603.png

benjimoser
9 - Comet

My Solution to get the same output as shown in this challenge. 
No clue why there is the same data twice in the output just with a slightly different way of concatenating (Fields: "Extractlist_Accessories_Composite_Key" and "Accessories_Composite_Key"). 

Spoiler
benjimoser_0-1678119176019.png

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I may have done it differently, but came up with the accessories match fairly quickly.

Spoiler
ggruccio_0-1678119691501.png

mmontgomery
10 - Fireball

Took slightly more time than I wished to match the final output.

Spoiler
mmontgomery_0-1678121108009.png

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
W361.jpg
alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Done!

Spoiler
challenge 361.PNG
rmassambane
10 - Fireball

acarter881
12 - Quasar

Here's my solution.

Spoiler
acarter881_0-1678125389533.png

FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar
Spoiler
FinnCharlton_0-1678125403162.png

robbinrv
8 - Asteroid

Solution in Alteryx Cloud this time, tough one to wrap my head around but got there in the end.

Spoiler
robbinrv_0-1678127258270.png