Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #347: Map Messi and Ronaldo's Goals (Part 2)

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

A solution to last week’s challenge can be found here.

This challenge comes to us from @Qiu  who was inspired after reading the following article: https://medium.com/analytics-vidhya/using-spatial-and-activities-data-with-python-to-understand-how-.... Thank you for your contribution!

This week, we will continue using datasets to analyze how Messi and Ronaldo do their magic.image_347.png

For Part 2 of this challenge, you will:
- Use the Part_2_input dataset to create the points where Messi and Ronaldo score their goals.
- Use the FootballPitch dataset to create the Football Pitch.
- Finally, joint the two previous findings to layout the Football Pitch and the goals from Messi and Ronaldo.

Hints
- The x and y coordinates are always in the range [0, 100] there, x position shall be multiplied by 1.25 and Y by 0.85 to get actual scale.
- Give the relatively small scale of a football pitch, it is better to multiply 1000 to both x, y positions of player and football pitch for visibility.

Check out our newly rebranded Spatial course.
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/tkb-p/interactive-lessons/label-name/Spatial%20...

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My solution.

Fun challenge.

Spoiler
AkimasaKajitani_0-1669645973572.png
AkimasaKajitani_1-1669645991104.png

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

My Attempt at plotting in the Interactive Chart Tool

(a bit messi, but can clean it up later)

Spoiler
PhilipMannering_0-1669646639800.pngPhilipMannering_1-1669646880327.png

mmontgomery
10 - Fireball

A fun one! Had to tweak some of the formulas to get the spatial info to match the original image. Spent too much time trying to fine-tune the map.

Spoiler
mmontgomery_3-1669646759294.png

DataNath
17 - Castor

My solution to #347. Took a little bit of time to work out what Gr/SN were but a fun little challenge in the end!

Spoiler
DataNath_0-1669646997946.png

RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

Here's my take

Spoiler
somehow the positions aren't quite matching the output file yetsomehow the positions aren't quite matching the output file yet
DataNath
17 - Castor

@RWvanLeeuwen this is what I had at first based on the hint but then realised that the 1.25/0.85 multiplications only apply to the player positions, not the pitch drawing.

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
Kenda_0-1669648860226.png

benjimoser
9 - Comet

My solution :)

Spoiler
benjimoser_0-1669649900055.png

johnjankowski
7 - Meteor