Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #344: World Cup Sweepstakes (Part 1)

LukeM

A solution to last week’s challenge can be found here.

Are you new to the wonderful world of sweepstakes?

In a traditional FIFA World Cup sweepstakes, the names of the 32 finalist nations are put into a hat. Friends, family, or work colleagues then pick team names out at random before the tournament begins. Participants can pay a sum of money for each team name they take out of the hat.

image_344_part1.jpg

The person who picks out the eventual World Cup winner wins the accumulated prize money. It is a simple lottery, which gives World Cup viewers another team to cheer on and adds a bit of competitive fun as the tournament progresses.

There are variations of the sweepstakes format, where you could offer consolation prizes to participants; for example, to the person who picked out the tournament runner-up or the person who had the worst performing team.

For this challenge, you will draw FIFA World Cup teams for your office sweepstakes. You have some data on the teams taking part, which group they are in for the tournament, and their current world ranking but unfortunately you do not know how many people will take part in your sweepstakes.

Build a workflow that will take any number of names (up to 32) and randomly match them with teams participating in the World Cup for your office sweepstakes draw. Your output will not match the one given (as it should be randomized) but the format should be the same—with each of the five people receiving six teams at random.

Build in logic that makes the draw more fair, by ensuring that each person draws at least one of the top-ranked teams.

NOTE: This is Part 1 of 2. Hold off on drawing your sweepstakes winners until next week when we will create an output for the participants.

Good luck with the draw and don’t forget to come back next week for Part 2!

JamesCharnley
13 - Pulsar
Spoiler
JamesCharnley_0-1667831963700.png

Have made a few randomisers before so this one is nice! Missed the top team condition at first

DataNath
17 - Castor

My solution to #344.

Spoiler
DataNath_0-1667832060121.png
DanFlint
8 - Asteroid

Tried to make this as dynamic as possible so all that would need to be changed for different number of players is the names text input.

My solution:

Spoiler
DanFlint_0-1667833878034.png

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Fun challenge which I solved with an Iterative Macro

Spoiler
Randomized all the entrants and matched with the top teams first - then randomized the rest in an Iterative Macro that makes sure that everyone gets the same number of teams.  Created an output for the teams not assigned as well

ggruccio_0-1667834099623.png

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My solution.

Spoiler
AkimasaKajitani_0-1667834586711.png

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Great challenge - mine is dynamic to make sure the amount of names get assigned a top team (i.e. 5 people means top 5 teams). Curious to see others' solutions!

Spoiler
Challenge 344.PNG
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
344.jpg
RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

If you want to wage a bet on sports, you'll have a random assignment. This is the only way to be fair, otherwise my interpretation of which teams are top ranked influences your chance of winning.

Here's my take

Spoiler
344.png
sergejs_kutkovics
9 - Comet

My try ).

To be more random,I also shuffeled the Participants.

Spoiler
sergejs_kutkovics_0-1667835944907.png