Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #330: Check out the weather

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

A solution to last week’s challenge can be found here.

image330.png

Do you check the weather before planning a trip to a foreign country? 

The following dataset contains information about the temperature of various locations in Ireland. Your job is to find the following the average (rounded up), the minimum, and the maximum temperature by "Station" in the Spring, Summer, and Fall. Use only the temperature recorded at 12:00.

Note: Use the following dates to determine the seasons:
- Spring March 19
- Summer June 20
- Fall September 22

Thank you for your comments, this challenge has been updated.

Luke_C
17 - Castor
Spoiler
Luke_C_0-1659365170937.png

Getting different values, not sure how the solution is doing it. For example the min spring temp in Athenry per the solution is 7.1, but in the data there are negative temperatures, for example on 4/11 which solidly falls within the spring range.

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Also getting different values...ヽ(ಠ_ಠ)ノ

But very similar to @Luke_C .... so that'll do for me.

Spoiler
PhilipMannering_0-1659366008790.png

balajilolla1
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Solution Attached

balajilolla1_0-1659366060015.png

MilindG
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
MilindG_0-1659367754325.png

Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Like the others my numbers don't match, but they match with what others are getting. So  🤔

Spoiler
MT_Solution_330.jpg

Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

ps - also have to say that initially it looked like it was using "month" of march from 'year' of 2019, then discover that data is only 2012.  Ok, but the way it's worded seems like it indicates use ONLY that day  ie.  March 19 of 2012. Yes you can 'assume' but remember data types have learned that 'assuming' things gets you in trouble and will use the instructions provided. Lastly it provides no 'end' date for the range of using fall, so you 'have' to assume an end date .... 2012-12-21?   2012-12-31? Lastly, since none of us are matching. It seems there are other built in assumptions not identified in the instructions.  Is it by design to make the instructions ambiguous? Have us spend effort trying to figure out the unspoken assumptions in order to match?  Since (let's be honest) you never actually get clear instructions in real life.  I leave these various thoughts, but seems that instructions should be clear enough that we  all land on the same number in the solution. Just my pennies. 

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Agreed with everyone, not matching the output and I double checked a few to feel comfortable with my output

Spoiler
Challenge 330.PNG
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My solution!

I also could not match the answers.

Spoiler
AkimasaKajitani_0-1659369786953.png

binuacs
20 - Arcturus
Spoiler