Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #328: Booking a Flight? Think Twice!

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

A solution to last week’s challenge can be found here.

It's vacation time. Will your flight leave on time? image328.png

Are you getting ready for vacation and worrying about the long hours of delay at airports? This is always in the back of our minds as we make a flight reservation, isn't it? Let's look at how bad flight delays were in the summer of 2021, which officially started on June 21 and ended on September 22.

Based on the dataset Flights_2021, which contains a random sample of all the flights in 2021, and the two tables provided, let's find the following information:

1. What were the five top airlines with more delays that summer?
2. What Airline had the longest delayed time that summer? On what date?
3. What were the top five airports with more flights delayed that summer?
4. How many flights were canceled that summer?

Note:
CRS_Dep_Time= Scheduled Departure Time (local time: hhmm)
Dep_Time: Actual Departure Time (local time: hhmm)
Dep_Delay: Difference in minutes between scheduled and actual departure time. Early departures show negative numbers.

Thank you for your comments, this challenge has been updated.

Aaron_Harter
11 - Bolide

If you have time to spare, go by air!

Spoiler
2.jpg
Some of my final values differ from the expected results... looking forward to seeing the completed solution.
Kamran1991
11 - Bolide

My solution,

Capture.JPG

but figures are different

mmontgomery
10 - Fireball

Challenge 328: 

Spoiler
mmontgomery_1-1658154849637.png

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
I matched the first 3 (1 and 3 were counts) but couldn't figure out 4.
patrick_digan_0-1658156508698.png

harrame
8 - Asteroid
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
harrame_0-1658156502970.png

The fourth output to compare against displays the total cancelled flights for 2021, not just the summer flights. FYI :)

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
I was able to match all but the last one (the field names in the output for 1 and 3 suggest you should sum the minutes of delays, but this is not the case if you want to match the values)

Kenda_0-1658158248571.png

CHarrison
8 - Asteroid

My solution :)

CharlotteGuy
8 - Asteroid

I am confused with the summer as it says 2022 and the total delay in minutes appears to be a grouping and not a summation on the first tab.  

AaronSmatta
8 - Asteroid

Answer to the last question is different from the output on file. I think the output is showing total cancelled flights in 2021, but the question asks about cancels for the summer.