Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #32: Alteryx '16 Grand Prix (Race 2, L2)

GeneR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This is the final lap in the Grand Prix series, last week’s (challenge #31) solution is posted HERE.

Here is the Scenario for this lap:  Now that I know the best four locations for me to visit (from last weeks exercise), I want to estimate how much it’s going to cost for me to take an Uber to each of the sites. If I start at this hotel, and head to the northern most location and head south to visit each surf site, how many miles will I drive? If Uber is $1.10 per mile, how much will that cost me?

The objective is to:  Identify the total drive distance from inspire to the northern point and work south to visit all four sites ending at the last site.  Calculate the Uber estimate.

*Remember to time yourself, contestants only had about ten minutes per lap.

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

About 9 minutes this time...

Spoiler
2016-07-07_19-20-33.jpg

Thanks for posting all these great fun to see what they did (and fun to learn new stuff...)

TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks for playing along! Here's a solution to the final lap:

Spoiler
2016-07-11 09_15_28-Alteryx Designer x64 BETA - Surf City - Surf City - Race2Lap2_Solution.yxmd.png
Tara McCoy
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Loving these timed challenges :-) it may be worth @TaraM and @GeneR putting a time par value on each of the weekly challenges.

09:00 exactly on this one.

Same solution as provided and @jdunkerley79 except I used the spatial info component to get a simple distance answer.

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Feels like a few too many tools, but it worked... Aaaaand I didn't see the whole thing about the timed challenge part (since I'm doing these Grand Prix ones out of order), soooo I'm going to go with approx. 15 minutes? :)

Spoiler
Solution: Calculate Distance from Hotel to each Surf Spot > Find the ones in the North, and sort by farthest away > Join back the one from the South > Add RecordID for TripOrder > MultiRow Tool to add field for HotelSpatialObj if TripOrder = 1 otherwise use the PriorDestination SpatialObj > Calculate Distance for each Trip > Formula to multiply by $1.10/mile > Summarize Distance & Uber Cost.

WeeklyChallenge32.JPG
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

about 8 minutes for this one!

Spoiler
Spoilerimage.png
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Not as efficient as other solutions and I went slightly over the 10 minutes..

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 32.png
nick_ceneviva
11 - Bolide

Fun challenge

Laurap1228
11 - Bolide

Completed this one on my flight to San Diego! 

Note: I don't have drive time data so my solution may be different to the one provided.

Spoiler
challenge32.jpg
Lorna_Eden
7 - Meteor

Good challenge