Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #31: Alteryx '16 Grand Prix (Race 2, L1)

GeneR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I hope everyone is enjoying the Grand Prix series, last week’s (challenge #30) solution is posted HERE.

Here is the Scenario for this lap:  With Inspire being held in beautiful San Diego, I'm planning on taking Friday off and trying out some of the world class surfing! Since it is summer, and I'm definitely a novice, I'd like to visit the surf sites in San Diego County that are appropriate for beginners and summer surfing season. Luckily, I found some datasets on the internet that provide this information.

The objective is to:  Join the site characteristics to the site location data and identify the four locations that are appropriate for a beginner skill level surfing in the summer season.

*Remember to time yourself, contestants only had about tem minutes per lap.

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

A very welcome distraction - thank you :)

About 6 mins...

Spoiler
2016-06-27_21-45-26.jpg
markp201
8 - Asteroid

Spoiler
Regex is becoming my fave tool...

Capture.JPG
Ooops - forgot about Select but the time was over 10 min. anyway.
TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

A solution has been posted

Spoiler
2016-07-05 15_05_47-Alteryx Designer x64 BETA - Surf City - Race2Lap1_Solution.yxmd.png
Tara McCoy
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

5:49

Nice quick exercise - thank you!

Garrett
11 - Bolide

3:23

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

My solution!

Spoiler
My first instinct was to do a TrimRight or Replace for the county name in Surf Site Locations data... but I am very quickly becoming a fan of the flexibility of RegEx! Who knew?? By using RegEx, this would work for data that contained multiple counties, as long as they were separated with a "-" from the surf site. I like it...
WeeklyChallenge31.JPG
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

4 minutes!

Spoiler
Spoilerimage.png
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

I really like these...under 5 mins

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 31.png