Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #31: Alteryx '16 Grand Prix (Race 2, L1)

GeneR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I hope everyone is enjoying the Grand Prix series, last week’s (challenge #30) solution is posted HERE.

Here is the Scenario for this lap:  With Inspire being held in beautiful San Diego, I'm planning on taking Friday off and trying out some of the world class surfing! Since it is summer, and I'm definitely a novice, I'd like to visit the surf sites in San Diego County that are appropriate for beginners and summer surfing season. Luckily, I found some datasets on the internet that provide this information.

The objective is to:  Join the site characteristics to the site location data and identify the four locations that are appropriate for a beginner skill level surfing in the summer season.

*Remember to time yourself, contestants only had about tem minutes per lap.

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

A very welcome distraction - thank you :)

About 6 mins...

Spoiler
2016-06-27_21-45-26.jpg
markp201
8 - Asteroid

Spoiler
Regex is becoming my fave tool...

Capture.JPG
Ooops - forgot about Select but the time was over 10 min. anyway.
TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

A solution has been posted

Spoiler
2016-07-05 15_05_47-Alteryx Designer x64 BETA - Surf City - Race2Lap1_Solution.yxmd.png
Tara McCoy
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

5:49

Nice quick exercise - thank you!

Garrett
11 - Bolide

3:23

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

My solution!

Spoiler
My first instinct was to do a TrimRight or Replace for the county name in Surf Site Locations data... but I am very quickly becoming a fan of the flexibility of RegEx! Who knew?? By using RegEx, this would work for data that contained multiple counties, as long as they were separated with a "-" from the surf site. I like it...
WeeklyChallenge31.JPG
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

4 minutes!

Spoiler
Spoilerimage.png
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

I really like these...under 5 mins

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 31.png