Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #3: Running Averages

jchen141
6 - Meteoroid

Please see my solution attached :)

ashamluo
7 - Meteor

challenge completed

karlhansen
9 - Comet
Spoiler
solution_3.jpg

I considered putting the multi-row formulas into one object, but that is not as sustainable in a real-world environment. 

nkinsey
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
nkinsey_0-1664057699476.png

JoshuaB
Alteryx Product Evangelist
Alteryx Product Evangelist

Updated for my new handle

Joshua Burkhow | Chief Evangelist @ Alteryx | Follow me on LinkedIn and Twitter
Sebastian_Chaieb2
8 - Asteroid
8 - Asteroid

My solution assumes that for running avg for the first row (row-1 and -2) the value should be the same (of course for 6 month average row -5, -4, -3, -2, -1)

Spoiler
Sebastian_Chaieb2_0-1664196899281.png

gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

solution attached

Hiblet
10 - Fireball

Hmm, the current solution still looks wrong?

The solution's row presentation makes the data very hard to check.  The 6 month averages still look wrong. The first 6 month average value should be the same as the first month value, but it is not.  The 3 month is correct.

The hack to push everything into one column and use a multi-field formula to apply one calculation is a nice idea, but it may be introducing the error.

RekhaS
7 - Meteor

PFA my solution this problem,

I took help from the given solution package but it was bit confusing

Heinrich_Preuß
8 - Asteroid

Unfortunately I have to complain a lot about this challenge:

1. is not really big but in the task the 4th column name ist p.1K and in the data it is D.1K

2. the null values in 2014 should not lead to an average of 0. Instead of 0 there should be null values, too.

3. the running 3 month and 6 month average should be the same in the first 3 months.

4. the naming of the 3 and 6 month average columns is really poor and also makes it hard to understand the task

5. and most annoying is the huge loading time everytime I clicked on the output. No idea, why this is consuming so much power.

In my solution I solved the issues 2. and 3. and therefore I have some different numbers than in the output. 

I also like the view much more before the crosstab and the task would be easier to understand as the output without it.

But maybe the crosstab was made to distract from issue 3.

Spoiler
Heinrich_Preu_0-1665148713167.png