Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #3: Running Averages

michael_d
8 - Asteroid

Solution attached,

Decided instead of just arriving at the correct answer to attempt to build useful macros which are as user friendly as possible. No documentation, debugging or error handling but hopefully should work if used correctly. This was tricky enough to build, there's still a few features to add which would be nice, i.e. grouping field to be optional and different ways of calculating running averages.

Noticed a few things with the solution which seem odd, 3 months averages are grouped by HP Category but 6 months aren't... not sure why?

The standard macro contains the batch macro and the workflow solution contains the standard macro, takes a little setting up but handy nonetheless.

This might come in useful to someone... somewhere...

Thanks,

Michael

This post has been edited by Community Moderation to redact sensitive attachments. The original attachment has been replaced by post_placeholder.txt.

aclaxton
8 - Asteroid

Got completely stumped by this one and peeked at other people's solutions. Also I noticed that the output calculated the running average for the second month as the average of row 1, row 1, row 2. That didn't seem intentional so I corrected mine to not do that.

Spoiler
Week 3.png
peter_gb
9 - Comet

The dodgy output file caused some confusion, but despite that I think my method was sound, with the possible exception  of dealing with nulls... 

Nice challenge.

This post has been edited by Community Moderation to redact sensitive attachments. The original attachment has been replaced by post_placeholder.txt.

samN
10 - Fireball

Used some logic to avoid the small errors that using "set to values of closest valid row" causes, by adding some logic based on Nulls in preceding rows

Waynemk
8 - Asteroid

here is mine. 

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

A bit more challenging!  But really learned how to use the multi-row formula tool!

LandonG
8 - Asteroid

Here is my solution.

jasperlch
12 - Quasar

Solutions attached

Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

For this one I created a macro and plugged it in a few times.

Treyson Marks
Senior Analytics Engineer
andypick
8 - Asteroid