Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #3: Running Averages

DE0413
8 - Asteroid

There may still be an error in your solution file.  When I compared my solution to yours, all of my 3-month calculations tied; however, my 6-month calculations did not always tie, and the variances were always happening in months 1-5. 

In researching, I found that your 6-month multi-row formula tool is not grouping by HP Category and Name like the 3-month multi-row formula tool does; therefore calculating 6-monyh averages across HP Category and Name (or Measure).  When I re-ran your solution file with HP Category and Name selected in the group by section of the 6-month multi-row formula tool, I was able to tie my solution output to the re-run output.

Please see my attached solution for the comparisons.  If there is something you see that I have done incorrectly, please let me know.

!!!!Also, can someone tell me why my Alteryx attachments only open up as html while other people's attachments open up the file in Alteryx?!!!

This post has been edited by Community Moderation to redact sensitive attachments. The original attachment has been replaced by post_placeholder.txt.

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hey @DE0413! I had this same issue a couple months ago, and I believe it has to do with the internet browser you are using to upload your workflows... Try using something other than Internet Explorer (I have used Firefox and Google Chrome, and both worked fine). Let us know if that does the trick! :)

DE0413
8 - Asteroid

Thank you Nicole--I will give that a try.

DE0413
8 - Asteroid

When I opened the community in Google Chrome, my attachments downloaded correctly.  Thanks again Nicole!

Phil_L57
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I created 2 Batch Macros to solve this challenge. One Macro to calculate the 3 month moving average and another to calculate the 6 month moving average.

The batch macro updates the field names within the expression of the Multi-Row tool so that all fields can be run in one tool.

I joined the two data streams by row position to produce the final output

Phil

This post has been edited by Community Moderation to redact sensitive attachments. The original attachment has been replaced by post_placeholder.txt.

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

This was a great introduction to the Multi-row formula tool

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 3.png
ydmuley
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

I must agree that, this was a challenging one! (At least for me).

But as they say, with challenges comes opportunity, got an opportunity to learn some new concepts on running averages.

My solution is more like others, specifically @Laurap1228.

I tried to leverage the running average formula given in the demo for the tool "Multi Row-Formula".

However, when I checked solution from @SeanAdams I was amazed to see that he correctly figured out the running average issue. If I had to go with the real averages not matching to the solution provided, I would without a doubt prefer Sean's solution. I must say, great findings @SeanAdams

Attached is my solution.

Thanks,

Yug

Regards,
Yugandhar Muley (Yug)

Alteryx ACE | Alteryx For Good India Lead | Bengaluru Alteryx User Group Lead
raj_k
6 - Meteoroid

Solution for Challenge # 3

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Workflow

irisTZ
5 - Atom

Solution for #Challenge 3