Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #3: Running Averages

spencerhong
Alteryx
Alteryx

Phew! Hardest one yet out of 3, thanks for introducing this one early. Running averages is a great method to know. On to the next...

Spencer Hong
Sr. Competitive Intelligence Analyst, Product Management
Alteryx
RashedDS
8 - Asteroid

Understanding the problem is harder then the solution.

Here is my solution

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

This challenge is worded terribly, and the output data makes little to no sense. Even the example provided in the description does little to help with understanding the task at hand. This is due to how the running averages are being calculated with the Multi-Row Formula tool. Most real world scenarios would not want averages calculated this way,  

jjrbondoc
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
jjrbondoc_0-1619021272087.png

byagelski
8 - Asteroid

my solution...

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I calculated the running average but my output differs from the one provided in the workflow itself. 

Emil_Kos_1-1620422465153.png

j_trefethen
8 - Asteroid

Had to peak at a couple different solutions here to see if I was following the instructions correctly.

Racam1989
7 - Meteor

Solution posted. I still don't understand why you need to 'Group By' for RM category in the 3mo trailing average but not the 6mo trailing average. If anyone knows, I would love to learn.

Spoiler
Racam1989_0-1620935769804.png

MartinStraech
8 - Asteroid

Like many, found that that the provided solution didn't quite do the moving averages for the edge cases properly as I understood them. It's not clean, but I used if statements until there was enough months to fill in the Average() function with proper number of rows.

Spoiler
MS - Solution.PNG
cherrington
7 - Meteor

My answer has a different final layout which I believe is easier to view.  Also, the official answer has incorrect average for Jan & Feb of 2009, but mine appears to be calculating correctly.  

If someone is monitoring this... LMK if my math is wrong for Jan & Feb 2009 or the official result format is preferable for a particular reason.