Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #3: Running Averages

mark-spain
6 - Meteoroid

My solution attached:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Community Moderation to redact sensitive attachments. The original attachment has been replaced by post_placeholder.txt.

Kaviyarasan_P
8 - Asteroid

I have completed Challenge 3

This post has been edited by Community Moderation to redact sensitive attachments. The original attachment has been replaced by post_placeholder.txt.

Awesomeville
7 - Meteor

My solution for Challenge #3.

Possibly not the most efficient manner for running dozens of varied averages, but probably the simplest to understand.

Cheers,

Nick

bkclaw113
9 - Comet

Not a fan of this challenge, the result set we are working toward truncates the metrics names at 11 characters.  I also fundamentally disagree with replacing the NULL values with zero before calculating the moving average.  Any time I have worked with moving averages in the past I always respect the NULL and back it out of the denominator for the average.  Those issues aside I did like the practice working with the multi-row formula's.  The ability to do row level operations in Alteryx as opposed to just the traditional set level operations is a big bonus. 

Shifty
12 - Quasar

This is my second attempt, after I realised I could use transpose & cross tab to make this a lot quicker. 

My first attempt used a multi-row formula to create each of the 12 monthly average columns!  After the 7th one, it began to look like madness and I went back to the drawing board.  Sadly, I think it would've been quicker to continue with the MRFs because it took my a while to work out the transpose/cross tab configs but I'll know for next time so all worth it in the end.  I also agree that the official solution does not calculate the averages correctly for the first rows. Am I still typing? 

OK here is the solution, sorry:

Spoiler

Ziggy77
7 - Meteor

pfredin
7 - Meteor

Hi,

Maybe it's not the more efficient solution but it works 😊.

Regards,

Patrick Fredin

vizwiz
5 - Atom

Nice challenge! I'm surprised Alteryx doesn't already have a moving average tool amongst the transform tools.

mgcarrenard
7 - Meteor

Solved using multiple Multi-Row Formula tools

Eleonora
8 - Asteroid

My solution