Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #3: Running Averages

Suzu
9 - Comet

Here is my solution.

This post has been edited by Community Moderation to redact sensitive attachments. The original attachment has been replaced by post_placeholder.txt.

roblen
7 - Meteor

I decided to use a slightly different approach which some people may find useful (maybe someone has already done it :-)) - Instead of taking the closes valid row in the Multi-Row Formula tool for Average calculation, I used IF statement to ie. calculate Feb average based on Jan and Feb only for 2009 (initial year). That's why some averages for 2009 are slightly different. I did something similar at work because of business requirements.

Please see the formula for r6mo below. I also used ToNumber() to handle nulls.

IF [Month]=1  AND [Year]=2009
THEN [Value]
ELSEIF [Month]=2  AND [Year]=2009 THEN Average([Row-1:Value],[Value])
ELSEIF [Month]=3  AND [Year]=2009 THEN Average([Row-2:Value],[Row-1:Value],[Value])
ELSEIF [Month]=4  AND [Year]=2009 THEN Average([Row-3:Value],[Row-2:Value],[Row-1:Value],[Value])
ELSEIF [Month]=5  AND [Year]=2009 THEN Average([Row-4:Value],[Row-3:Value],[Row-2:Value],[Row-1:Value],[Value])
ELSE Average(ToNumber([Row-5:Value]),ToNumber([Row-4:Value]),ToNumber([Row-3:Value]),ToNumber([Row-2:Value]),ToNumber([Row-1:Value]),ToNumber([Value]))
ENDIF

This post has been edited by Community Moderation to redact sensitive attachments. The original attachment has been replaced by post_placeholder.txt.

datamonkey
8 - Asteroid

My solution - I'm assuming the issue with the 6-mo averages in the target output is a genuine bug based on the other messages here

jbranaum
8 - Asteroid

Here is my solution.

Funny enough I started out on this one with about 20 multirow formulas, one for each column doing a 3 month calc, and again for each doing a 6 month calc.  Then I stumbled upon Transpose which made it way less complicated for me.  Definitely took me a few trys to get this one.....

2 calculations instead of 20.........

Patrick007
6 - Meteoroid

My challenge #3 solution.

ewelch531
7 - Meteor

I learned a lot on this one...

TonyM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

transpose, multi-row for 3 and 6 month moving averages, crosstab back

BPurcell2
9 - Comet

I got pretty OCD here, I opened a can of worms and used the CReW Test Macro, requiring me to change a few field names, account for rounding errors, and further examine the 6 month error others have identified.  I broke open the Test macro to identify all fields that weren't within 1%, and the were all of the 6 month average fields for 2009 Months 1-5.

alejandini
5 - Atom

Learned a good amount with this one as well

SamDesk
11 - Bolide

Sam 🙂