Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #3: Running Averages

MitchellBliesner
8 - Asteroid

I am working my way through the Alteryx Challenges as I am learning Alteryx. Here is my solution to the problem.

gaoa
11 - Bolide
Spoiler
gaoa_0-1684041599583.png

atreides
8 - Asteroid

Started the workflow by transposing the data columns then I proceeded to apply the following treatments:

- sorted it ascending by RM Category, Year and Month

- Replaced Null() values with with the value on the previous row

- Used a Multi-Row Formula for creating the 3 months average, respectively the 6-month one

tothd
8 - Asteroid

Ok Terrific

logdog0411
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
logdog0411_0-1685373433030.png

Seems a bit silly to put a Spoiler tag on it when the original post is 8 years old... 

I didn't pivot it all back into column to match the output because that also struck me as silly. 

SailAway
7 - Meteor

my solution

Computernerd
8 - Asteroid

I got most of the way, but had to peek to get it right. 🙄

The_Rad_Valentina
8 - Asteroid

Great use of Multi-Row formula tools. 

It's weird that the problem is giving you a hint:  "For Values that do not exist, set values to closest valid row. " But the solution actually does not do that. It uses a zero for nulls instead. So I followed the hint and my response is slightly different from the solution. 

I definitely learned that you can change the Num Rows in the Multi-Row Formula tool to play with a bigger selection of row, rather than the default 2. 

I also used the Average( ) formula rather than adding and then dividing by 3 or 6...should do the same thing theoretically :)

I also didn't do the last transpose as I liked how my table looked better. It doesn't make sense to me to put the RM Category as a Value. What was the reason for that?

The_Rad_Valentina_0-1685715152658.png

kaitlinDS37
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
kaitlinDS37_0-1686147458741.png

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Question is framed interestingly, and answer is not what is requested.

I've gone with a benefit of the doubt approach

Spoiler
TheOC_0-1686582659081.png

Bulien