Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #29: Alteryx '16 Grand Prix (Race1, L1)

GeneR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The link to last week’s challenge (challenge #28) is HERE

Hi everyone, what an awesome time we had at the Alteryx Inspire 2016 Conference in San Diego last week.  It was so nice to meet many of the Community members in person.  If you attended the conference and went to the Grand Prix event, this week’s challenge is the first of the four laps.  We will cover all of laps as weekly challenges in the next weeks.   See if you have what it takes to compete, keep in mind the contestants only had about 10 minutes per lap maximum so maybe time yourself.

Use Case:  You are the commissioner for your fantasy baseball team. You recently completed your draft and you want to run some simple statistics about each fantasy team.

You have 3 inputs

1) Fantasy pick summary from your draft

2) Hitter stats on all field players (whether selected in your draft or not)

3) Pitchers stats on all pitchers (whether selected in your draft or not)

Objective:  In order to run some stats on your draft, you first need to prep your data. Please combine all 3 files so that you have a single output that contains stats on each player drafted in your draft, ordered by "Overall_Pick."

Drivers start your engines!

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Fun stuff.  :-)

Spoiler
Capture.JPG
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Fantastic hoped we'd get to try these :)

Took me about 12 mins but under no pressure (+ another couple to verify result fully).

Spoiler
2016-06-13_19-42-21.jpg
charlescolemansm
6 - Meteoroid

This is a cool one.  jdunkerley79, your solution is better and faster.  Always like to throw out different options when I can:

Spoiler

Solved with Run instead.png
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Added my spoiler above; very similar to @jdunkerley79, and took about the same time, including the verification joining to the expected output.

markp201
8 - Asteroid

From the other posts, I get the impression I over-simplified but here it is.   Appreciate any comments.

Spoiler
Capture.JPG
GeneR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@charlescolemansm,  what were you calling with the run command tool?

GeneR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@markp201, nice!  I always believe simple is better...

charlescolemansm
6 - Meteoroid

@GeneR, I'm just saving a temporary .csv, leaving 'first row contains field headers' unchecked, and then reading it again, this time with field headers checked (i.e. as a more normal .csv).

All that said, <spoiler alert> Dynamic Rename is totally the better way to do this :)

TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

And here is the solution from the team:

Spoiler
2016-06-20 09_20_59-Alteryx Designer x64 - Fantasy_Baseball_GP2016_Lap 1_Solution (002).yxmd_.png

(attached above) 

Tara McCoy