Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #29: Alteryx '16 Grand Prix (Race1, L1)

markp201
8 - Asteroid

Curious - is there a performance gain by having the two joins followed byt a union?

GeneR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@markp201,

There is not a performance gain,  I was solving the problem as fast as I could at the time and was thinking that a Batter may also have pitching stats.  I want to keep the two sides isolated then bring in the data with the union.

Since there are not any batters that are pitchers it could be solved with just two joins in series like the winner did.

I had no involvement in creating the exercise initally, else I would have wanted to fix the header typo and only have 27 instead of 28 columns in the result.  (there is a column called Stike outs and one called Strike outs that could have been aligned)

Best Regards,

@GeneR

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Similar solution as those provide.    Sadly, well over 10 mins spent (mainly trying to figure out differences between my answers and the provided solution) - so DNF for me...

Note for @GeneR / @TaraM.   It seems that one field is missing from the data provided (both in the start file, and the provided solution also fails on this field) - "2015 Team Rank".   It may be that this was supposed to be 4 data sets originally?

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Solution!

Spoiler
WeeklyChallenge29.JPG
Garrett
11 - Bolide

Fun with data cleansing!

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Love baseball. Fun challenge :)

Spoiler
Spoilerimage.png
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

I spent ages trying to figure out why the join wasn't working, then I realised it was because I didn't read the instructions properly...

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 29.png
nick_ceneviva
11 - Bolide

Solution attached

Laurap1228
11 - Bolide

Here is my solution. Haven't checked it with the answer provided but I imagine it's quite similar.

Spoiler
Spoiler
challenge29.jpg
Lorna_Eden
7 - Meteor