Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #271: Dynamic Double Dip

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

A solution to last week's challenge can be found hereDip.png

If you're familiar with the Formula tool in Designer, you know that there aren't many things you can't do with it. But just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should. There are some tasks that can get a little repetitive when you have to do them over and over again. In those instances it can be more efficient to think about ways to make the process a little more dynamic. This also serves you well as you begin automating processes because it can keep workflows from breaking when datasets change.

For this week's challenge, we want to perform a simple calculation: divide each month's Tax value by its Cost value to find the Percentage. Since there are almost always multiple ways to accomplish the same task, go for a double dip and find two solutions to arrive at the final output.

Aaron_Harter
11 - Bolide

Fun challenge to start the week!

Spoiler
0.PNG
Blake
12 - Quasar

You should never double dip a chip. Alteryx solutions, sure. Never a chip.

Spoiler
dd.png

dsmdavid
11 - Bolide
Spoiler
I think it's probably the first time I use "Arrange" in a weekly challenge 😅 dsmdavid_0-1623072402088.png

AndrewS
11 - Bolide
Spoiler

271.PNG
DavidThorpe
Alteryx
Alteryx

Enjoyed the challenge, had to put in some creative thought to find another way!

Here are my solutions!

Spoiler
DavidThorpe_0-1623073581622.png

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

My solution(s). 

Spoiler
271.jpg
Luke_C
17 - Castor
Spoiler
Luke_C_0-1623074360536.png

DeanWest
9 - Comet

Double-dipping can be acceptable in some cases...? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Spoiler
challenge_271_solution_DeanWest-snippet.png

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I have a standard solve and then I have a whiz-bang macro that is perfectly built for a use case like this

Spoiler
My standard solve uses transpose-crosstab, which is a common design pattern ( @joshuaburkhow @cgoodman3 )

My macro solve uses my multi-row multi-field tool, which combines the multi-row and multi-field tools. It's extremely quirky, but it is pretty powerful once you learn how to harness it. In this use case, it gives you the ability to reference 1 column to the left. I also used the field sort which is a cool Crew Macro.
patrick_digan_0-1623077256260.png

patrick_digan_1-1623077384062.png