Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #27: Spatial Telco Coverage Smoothing

CR_Marland
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
27 solution.PNG
DavidLane
8 - Asteroid

Another nice execrcise using spatial tools that I don't use very often in my day job. Good learning experience and a showcase of what Alteryx can do.

Spoiler
DavidLane_0-1590407774706.png

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Good refresh of Spatial tools

Spoiler
jarrod_0-1590680576864.png

george317
7 - Meteor

Hi @GeneR @jarrod @DavidLane @CR_Marland @CKP ,

I'm a beginner to Alteryx and very new to Spatial. I was trying few Alteryx Spatial challenges and this challenge came up.

Here objective is clearly written to "Remove all splatter less than 2 square miles" then why in Filter tool "AreaSqMi" is considered  >= 2.

Also if anyone can explain how exactly split polygon helped to remove the spatter. 

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @george317 

In order to remove the splatter less than 2sq mi, you have to apply the logic 1 of two ways:

1) select the spatial objects that are less than 2sq mi and exclude

for this, the filter formula would be AreaSqMi < 2

however, this would pass all of those values to the "true" side of the filter, so we'd have to just connect to the "false" side to get the "good" spatials.

2) select the spatial objects that are >=2 sq mi, since they are good and ONLY include those

i went this route because i like to keep my filters "true"

for this one, i used the AreaSqMi >= 2 and connected to the True side of the filter. 

honestly, either way works, but you have to adjust the logic/connection to get the correct spatials.

Split polygon (by region) allows the entire complex spatial object to be split up into smaller regions. Using the "detailed" option provides another field in the output called "Split_IsHole" - that is essentially negative space in the polygon and when we remove this spatial object, it allows us to get rid of the holes when concatenate the final spatialObj.

the remaining "regions" from the split polygon are just spatial objects, which we can run Area calculations on - this helps us determine the square miles and filter (as detailed above).

does that make sense?

george317
7 - Meteor

Yes makes sense completely. Thank you for the time and efforts. God bless you.

Lucatelli
8 - Asteroid

Please find attached my proposed solution.

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Spatial 5

Spoiler
RNO2_0-1591410497603.png

maazinh
8 - Asteroid

Spatial is always fun!

AlexC2
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for challenge. Solution attached