Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #27: Spatial Telco Coverage Smoothing

GeneR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The link to last week’s challenge (challenge #26) is HERE

This week’s challenge is a spatial use case to preprocess a spatial object for mapping.  The input file is a single complex polygon that represents a coverage area.

Use Case: A wireless telecommunications company wants to remove holes and splatter from their coverage area for simplified map display.   Splatter can be define as unnecessary pieces of the whole polygon.

Objective: Remove all splatter less than 2 square miles and holes from the coverage area.

This exercise can generate varying answers based on the configuration of the spatial tools used for the process. As a result the challenge does not contain an output. 

Have fun!

TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

A solution has been posted

Spoiler
2016-05-31 16_40_15-Alteryx Designer x64 - Spatial_TelcoCoverageSmoothing_Intermediate_ Solution.yxm.png
Tara McCoy
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Very similar to @GeneR / @TaraM - just did things in a different order.

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

More or less the same solution as Tara & Sean.

Spoiler
WeeklyChallenge27.JPG
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Seems like a cloud over the cornhuskers...

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

similar solution to others

Spoiler
Spoilerimage.png
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Pretty much the same as everybody else...

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 27.png
Laurap1228
11 - Bolide

I really enjoy the spatial challenges because I don't get to use these tools very often at work. This was my first time using the Poly-Split tool. I attempted to use the Buffer tool as well but ended up deciding it wasn't appropriate.  

Question - what is the best way to check my results with spatial challenges? Usually, I join my solution to the output file and then add a filter to check the fields are identical. Will that work here too? 

Here is my solution:

Spoiler
challenge27.jpg
jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Here's my solution, similar to others.

Spoiler
challenge-27.png
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
Good Learning Exercise. I've never used the poly-split before.