Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #265: Keep In Touch

RichoBsJ
11 - Bolide

Hi! My solution 🙂

There aren't 36 rows in the solution, there are actually 42 rows, because NM & MN states are creating some duplicated words...

BTW, it only took 47 seconds to run 😉

Spoiler
Workflow:

WORKFLOW 265.jpg

Results detail:

CHALLENGE265.jpg

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

It is been a while to have Spatial one.

Spoiler
challenge_265.PNG
lucia_haswell
7 - Meteor

getting different words, does anyone know why?

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Cool problem to solve. I only used one spatial tool in the whole thing (1 x Spatial Match) and I got 40 words.

A couple of them are repeats though which makes sense using Alabama instead of Louisiana and New Mexico instead of Minnesota. The repeats are Condemns, Makimono, Matronal, Monecian. If the technique used was the other way around to look at the words then see if that word could be made, then those duplicates may not have been found. 

Spoiler

My Workflow:

KaneG_0-1620622961213.png

Essentially, I constructed every combination of 4 touching states and then sorted the letters alphabetically and compared those to the word list (sorted alphabetically).

JonathanAllenby
8 - Asteroid

I spent way too long on this.

Spoiler

My iterative macro first finds all pairwise touching states on the first pass, and subsequently drops the shapes and keeps finding the subsequent connected states using the pairwise combinations. Keeping the shapes really blows up the workflow and grinds it to a halt. I also gave the macro user the option of increasing the number of connected states, for the hypothetical situation where you had a list of 10 letter words, or 12, etc.

JonathanAllenby_0-1620749644959.png
JonathanAllenby_3-1620749833057.png

FlorianC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Maps are always a challenge.

Spoiler
workflow.png
Florian Carrier
Strategic Solution Consultant
Alteryx
LHolmes
9 - Comet

Super challenge! Was fun to use quite an array of tool palettes.

Spoiler
265 - Solution.PNG
265 - Result.PNG
265 - Map.PNG
randreag
11 - Bolide

her is the solution

Jonny
11 - Bolide

Nice one. I think I got to a simpler approach to identify words that are made by NM & MN.

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Fun challenge!

Spoiler
For any challenge that compares letters in words, I always alphabetize the letters in both matching inputs then see what joins.  I used spatial match tool to see which states border one another, ensuring all 4 states were unique abbreviations.