Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #262: With-invoice

Jonny
11 - Bolide

hard one, got a solution of my own, but not the most iterative probably.

rmassambane
10 - Fireball

Another one that bites the dust!

amir_alteryx_2021
6 - Meteoroid

No macros were hurt during this solution and also I utilized the save and reload from the select tool to bypass the titles which was a pain

JasonHu
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
workflow1.png

Here is my submission. did long time ago, but forgot to submit.

ncrlelia
11 - Bolide

Challenge 262

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I think the "start" file should state that the number of dashes = number of characters in each columns as typically in "fixed width" export (which is common but not always the case for such exported formats).

FredNajjar
9 - Comet

The file structure tripped me out, but there is nothing you can't do with REGEX! 

Spoiler
Screenshot_3.png
youngk313
8 - Asteroid

Long parsing

dhavaldoshi
8 - Asteroid

How to do it as a Beginner?

• The ley to this challenge is a simple RegexReplace, you need to identify what is a comfortable range of single whitespace characters that can come together between columns, for me it came out to be 17 that sufficed both so the RegEx Replace would look like \s{2,17} which would replace any white space counting between 2 to 17 to a character of choice which you can then delimit with.
  • Always remember Data Cleansing towards the end is very helpful when working with unstructured data

Do not remove punctuation if you aren't sure of data types, because . is treated as a punctuation if data type is string and it can be catastrophic working with numeric fields

• Try to keep things dynamic else you'll end up spending hours using a select tool and lose the purpose of the exercise
Spoiler
Solution_262.PNG
GarryBrittain
6 - Meteoroid

done and done!

Spoiler
GarryBrittain_0-1626151418525.png