Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #262: With-invoice

RaviP
8 - Asteroid

Here's my solution. Too hardcoded to my liking!

Spoiler
RaviP_0-1619195858514.png

MattBenj
9 - Comet

My solutions.

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

My solution!

Spoiler
I started out doing this a particularly dumb way that was in no way/shape/form flexible/dynamic/repeatable... and then suddenly I remembered A Particularly Problematic Parsing Example use case and realized I could borrow from that use case to use Regex pattern building (i.e. counting the dashes in the header lines to determine the number of characters in each field) as a way to find the pattern for splitting up the fields. 

I love it when I build something and then answer my own question on Community 3 years later... 🙂 

RegexPatternBuilding.JPGWeeklyChallenge262.JPG

  

In the end, this one ended up being particularly fun! 

Cheers!

NJ

ellen-wiegand
Alteryx
Alteryx

The plural of regex is regrets

LHolmes
9 - Comet

A head scratcher, but once the column parsing is determined it starts to flow. Solution is dynamic for all field names, no manual assignments.

Spoiler
262 - Solution.PNG
JonathanAllenby
8 - Asteroid

I tried to make this as dynamic as possible. The only manual config is the Select Rows tools to pick out which rows are from which table and cleaning up one field at the end from the bigger output.

Can't help but think I overcomplicated it. Nothing particular strenuous or mind-bending but it took a long time to configure.

Spoiler
The trick was figuring out that the column sizes are related to the number of dashes in the dash rows. Used a macro just to keep the reused sections of the flow tidy and to prove it is a dynamic workflow.
JonathanAllenby_0-1619957630406.pngJonathanAllenby_1-1619957649527.png

DataHabanero
9 - Comet

Ready!

Spoiler
Screenshot2.png
beachego
7 - Meteor

Probably not the most efficient way, but here is my solution!

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Getting to the data was easy.  Headers on the dataset were a challenge and I assigned them manually.