Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #26: Service Technician Travel Distance

GeneR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The link to last week’s challenge (challenge #25) is HERE

This week’s challenge is a use case faced by one of our customers that can leverage the geo-spatial tools available in Alteryx.  If you have the spatial data available you can output your results as drive-distance, in the event that you do not have the drive-distance data available, please use the straight-line distance.  The basic tools and setup of the data needed will be identical.  Output results will be provided for both methods.  In the event that you use drive-distance and your results vary slightly from the sample output, it may be due to variance in the data set used for the exercise.

Use Case:  in order to audit their employee expense reports, a service company would like to calculate how far (in miles) their technician is traveling from their hotels, to the worksite, then to their destination hotel on a daily basis.

The Data:  The source is collected in a way that record 1 contains the spatial object for the beginning hotel for day 1, record 2 is the spatial object for the worksite for day 1, and record 3 is the spatial object for the ending hotel for day 1.  This pattern repeats for three successive days.

Find the distance on a daily basis the technician is either driving or straight line distance if you don’t have the spatial data available.

Enjoy!

TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

A solution has been uploaded

Spoiler
2016-05-23 08_35_08-Alteryx Designer x64 - Spatial_ServiceTechnician_TravelDistance_Beginner_Solutio.png
Tara McCoy
LeahK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Challenge accepted  :)

Spoiler
Leah-WC26-workflow.png
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@JoeM,

Here's my abbreviated take on this one....  I followed a different path from @LeahK :)

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

solution attached - slightly different approach

Spoiler
- Simple open polygon for the day's travels using a row ID to sequence
- then took the distance using a spatial info.

Note: didn't work out the straight line difference between the hotels as a second set, I think I misunderstood the question a little :-)
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I used straight-line distance for this one. I feel like there was probably another way that wouldn't involve Tiles & Cross-Tab, but it worked... :)

Spoiler
Solution: Unique Value Tile by Date to determine 1,2,3 step for Hotel A to Site to Hotel B > Cross-Tab: Group by Date, Column = Tile SequenceNum, Values = Spatial Obj. > Find Distance between SequenceNum 1 & 2 and 2 & 3 > Join by Date > Formula: Hotel to Site Distance + Site to Hotel B Distance.

WeeklyChallenge26.JPG
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

My solution looks very much like @NicoleJohnson's 

Spoiler
Spoilerimage.png
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

A nice easy one to start the day with

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 26.png
Laurap1228
11 - Bolide

I really liked this one :) I always feel smart when I solve the challenge quickly.

Spoiler
challenge26.jpg
A_Twa
8 - Asteroid

I arrived at a similar solution to the 'official' one.  Although I did have to solicit some help from a colleague who ultimately put me on the right path.