Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #251: Lunacy

ahsanaali
11 - Bolide
Spoiler
ahsanaali_0-1674056763292.png

binuacs
20 - Arcturus
Spoiler
binuacs_0-1674078807600.png

FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar
Spoiler
FinnCharlton_0-1676318306015.png

olga_strubbe
10 - Fireball

This was fairly complex - I could follow the process, but did not quite understand the x2 and y2, y3 point values used in the solution.  As far as spatial process and other spatial tools used in this challenge - they were straightforward.  My solution attached.

Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

My solution.

Yoshiro_Fujimori_5-1681442087490.png

Spoiler
It may be better to use sin() and cos() to make the line more accurately, but not now...
Yoshiro_Fujimori_0-1681441778464.png

bwins
8 - Asteroid

bwins_0-1687259817935.png

Spoiler
bwins_1-1687259836800.png

ferg_smith
8 - Asteroid

Image failed to upload :(

ed_hayter
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
This one was difficult and to be honest its not a great effort - but the brief says that we can approximate the shape so I am counting it lol.

I had previously strategized around doing something similar to some other solutions I have now looked at - generating new x values based on an equation. But decided that actually I'd like to try it with grids - filter out the grid parts i did not want then smooth the output into a realistic moon.

Its a quite brute force "solution" (a stretch using this term) but i think its an interesting alternative approach. I do wonder if I could have messed with the smooth tool configuration to get even more smoothing and the output I was ultimately looking for.

Having delayed my upload of my effort for this long - find it below
Spoiler
image.png
gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Fun challenge

Spoiler
image.png
alacoume
8 - Asteroid

very hard for me!