community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Weekly Challenge
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.
Getting started with Designer? | Start your journey with our new Learning Path!

Challenge #25: Creating Merchant Combos

Asteroid
Spoiler
Week 25.PNG
Pulsar

Nebula
Nebula

My solution

Spoiler
5 tools! Cross join and filter do the heavy lifting

solution 25.png

Dan

Attached are my solutions.

I took 2 different approaches:

Spoiler

challenge_25_completedScreen.jpg

Solution 1 creates similar results, though more accurate, than the provided solution.  Useful for seeing the pairs user by user.
challenge_28_completedScreen_Sol1.jpg

Solution 2: Market basket approach.  More useful if you are going to create association rules for these businesses in general across multiple users.

challenge_28_completedScreen_Sol2.jpg

Pulsar
Pulsar
Spoiler
Much like @JoshKushner, I did not like the fact that the provided output had extra null values for Merchant#. I created a couple variables (n!, k!, and (n-k)!) in order to calculate the number of combinations that should be allowed per count. Note this only works if there are 5 or less merchants, but there is no factorial formula, so I had to make it work. In the end I've got the same output minus a couple rows.
25.2.PNG25.PNG
Meteor

Attached

Quasar
Spoiler
Challenge #25.PNG
Asteroid

Managed to do a small 5 tool solution.

I don't agree with the provided solution as all one purchase userID's appear in Merchant2 and with blank Marchant1. In my oppinion it should be opposite in accordance with Input data.

Spoiler
challenge_25_start_file_MarMu.png
Alteryx Partner

I'm not 100% on why the final formula tool in my solution is necessary, but hey ho

Spoiler
Challenge 25.PNG

Alteryx Certified Partner

Solution attached. I am puzzled by the answer. I'm not sure what a pairing with a <null> merchant represents. I'm not a statistician, so I'm curious to know if correlation with Null is meaningful? Anyway, I filtered nulls out leaving 65 pairings across all users.