Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #247: Pairing Partners

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Found a bit of a cheeky way to do this without too many tools 🙂

Nice one @PhilipMannering 

Spoiler
Used an append tool to create a cartesian join (join all names to all other names)
Then filter out a self-join (Jim meeting with Jim)
Then a very simple iterative macro to break this into weeks using a unique tool.

Main flow

SolutionA.png

Macro
SolutionB.png

JoshuaGostick
11 - Bolide

My solution

Spoiler
challenge_247.PNG
Spoiler
challenge_247_macro.PNG
BeginnerMindset
8 - Asteroid

Great challenge.  I went with an iterative macro to make generic solution and tested on a longer list.  Works a treat.

Spoiler
BeginnerMindset_0-1616173411937.png

Spoiler
BeginnerMindset_1-1616173448306.png

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

This might be one of my favorites in a while - an Iterative Macro AND I got to use my favorite Make Columns tool???? That's a tournament winner for sure!!

Spoiler
Super fun one - I know some people have a love-hate relationship with iterative macros, but I kid you not, I love them more than any other macro. I'm glad we had the hint to take a look at the Wikipedia page for Round Robin tournaments - I was able to recreate the bracket-shifting that was shown in the example, and it feels very flexibile, for any value of even-numbered players. 

RoundRobinTournamentAlgorithm.JPG

To create this algorithm in Alteryx iterative macro form, it really came down to a re-ordering technique that would not only "wrap" the players around for matchups (left to right on the top row, right to left on the bottom) but would also replace player two with the last player in the lineup with every round. Key players in this matchup were RecordID, Sample tool, and MY FAVORITE DARK HORSE TOOL EVER, the glorious Make Columns tool. I love this little guy... it's not often I find uses for him, but when I do, THEY ARE MAGICAL. 

Challenge247Macro.JPG

The iterative input/output is just the reordered list, using the Round Robin algorithm/example, and then it stop the iterations once it reaches the appropriate number of rounds. 

Wrapped it up in the main workflow, gave it a pretty bird icon, and smiled to myself at this victory. 🙂 NOTE: I opted to use PlayerID's for my macro and then match the ID's to names at the end, since it was easier for me to see the order and align it with the Wikipedia example when they were numbers, but could certainly have been done with actual names too.
WeeklyChallenge247.JPG

Cheers!!

NJ

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

This one was tough, since I'm still new to iterative macros. Great challenge though!

Spoiler
Workflow:
Maskell_Rascal_0-1616535251748.png

Iterative Macro:

Maskell_Rascal_1-1616535278096.png

papalow
8 - Asteroid

A good challenge....but not my best execution.  

DataHabanero
9 - Comet

Ready!

Lili1
7 - Meteor

Here is my solution!

Spoiler
-
cAral
7 - Meteor

Thought this was a unique solution that does not use macros or the tile tool. It also handles use cases for odd number of participants. 

Spoiler
247.jpg
Amin
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Amin_0-1631817682627.png

No macros and  following my personal policy of no "hardcoding".