Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #247: Pairing Partners

marioyuwono
8 - Asteroid

247.png

ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Here is my solution. No macro was needed.

Spoiler
ArtApa_0-1609720662099.png

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

So I got doing down the wrong path, but refused to admit it was total junk. So my solution involves a few hardcodes and isn't dynamic (and is indeed junk).

Spoiler
patrick_digan_0-1609773681265.png

EDIT: I refused to give up. I finally found a way to solve it going down the wrong path.

Spoiler
If you set it up JUST RIGHT, I was able to use the optimization tool to get the pairs all lined up. I really struggle with the optimization tool as there are too many ways to do it wrong.
patrick_digan_0-1609793383217.png

KilianL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

No need to reinvent the wheel, so I implemented the circle algorithm for scheduling round robin tournaments (see Wikipedia).

Should work on any even number of participants. For uneven numbers, a dummy can be added to the input to make it even.

Comparing the results I get the same pairings, just in a different weekly order, success!

Spoiler
247 - Round Robin Circle Alg - Kilian.png
randreag
11 - Bolide

Here the solution

hanykowska
11 - Bolide

Definitely started with overcomplicating things, but I think I managed to find my way out!

Spoiler
main workflow
hanykowska_0-1609934306554.png

iterative macro inside

hanykowska_1-1609934334635.png

BelindaSpratt
7 - Meteor

No macros necessary 🙂

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Challenge Completed

Spoiler
Weekly_Challenge_247.JPG

Weekly_Challenge_247_Macro.JPG
ponraj
13 - Pulsar

Used iterative macro to solve this challenge.  Need to update maximum number of iteration manually when number of records changes. So that iteration stops once each people played each other people.  Example, iteration would be 5 for 6 people, it would be 7 for 8 people. it is kind of manual. I could not make it dynamic. However, made the pairing/partnering fully dynamic. 

Spoiler
Main workflow.PNGMacro.PNG

A2H
11 - Bolide

Algorithm is not easy to set up !

Spoiler
Capture d’écran, le 2021-01-12 à 21.27.01.png