Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #247: Pairing Partners

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

A solution to last week's challenge can be found hereSource: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round-robin_tournamentSource: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round-robin_tournament

This week's challenge was submitted by @PhilipMannering  - Thanks for your contribution!

This problem was inspired by a question on the Community forums: 

With remote working the norm, it's difficult to get some one-on-one time with other people in your team. Given the list of names, generate pairings of people for each week. Everyone should have a partner. And no pairing should be repeated.

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Challenge 247 is done, closing down on that 250 badge now!

Workflow:

Spoiler
Jonathan-Sherman_0-1608565547962.png

Batch Macro:

Spoiler
Jonathan-Sherman_0-1608565417930.png

dsmdavid
11 - Bolide

I can only think in (nested) iterative macros this week...

Spoiler
dsmdavid_0-1608562449241.png
outer iterative - spits weekly combinationsouter iterative - spits weekly combinations The inner iterative generates each week's combination. The outer iterative continues to feed data to the inner as long as there are meetings that have not taken place yet

dsmdavid_2-1608562527188.png

Blake
12 - Quasar

Mod function and tile tool to the rescue! Great challenge, @PhilipMannering !

Spoiler
247.png

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
Dynamic solution with iterative macro

Kenda_0-1608571240682.png

Kenda_1-1608571329829.png

phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I still want to tackle odd number of competitors but I believe I replicated the "Circle Method" in my macro.

Spoiler
247.PNG

247_Macro.PNG
peter_gb
9 - Comet

Fun one! Started doing iterative but wished to avoid iterative within iterative so just went to wikipedia to be told what to do 😄
Will only work for an even number of people.

Spoiler
challenge_247_pgb.png
challenge_247_2_pgb.png

  

mbogusz
9 - Comet
Spoiler
Challenge #247 in the canChallenge #247 in the can
TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This was a fun one. Very interested in seeing other solutions. Thanks to @Greg_Murray for showing how to capture all intermediate results from an iterative macro in last week's challenge.

Spoiler
2020-12-21_15-31-36.png
ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I found multiple solutions that worked, but don't match the answer provided.  But I validated it manually and my answer meets the criteria....everyone meets and no pairing repeated....