Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #243: Odd Man Out

andrepsouza
5 - Atom

@Blake,

thank you so much for your wonderful work. It helped a lot organizing the data in a useful manner. 

In regards with the third question, I guess they meant "[year] = 2010", not "2020 < [year] < 2100" . I did the "= 2100" and got the same results they offered.

Also, in the last filter for the 3rd question, instead of comparing each men % and womend % in order to get the results (like in "[perc_men] > [perc_women]"), I simply passed a filter asking "men_percentage > 0.5", which seems to use less data and be a little more efficient. 

Let me know what you think of that. I'm learning A LOT with your posts here. Thanks again!

Ashish_Nelson94
5 - Atom

Hi @jenny

Thanks for sharing your output. I tried replicating the Batch macro step that you had created particularly where you had used Filter to categorize 'Males' and 'Females' and link it back with the transposed data using "Append Fields" function.

How does it link the 2 fields which "Header" containing Males, Females, and Totals with the transposed data using Append Fields?

This is the output I saw at my end when I tried replicating your macro,

Ashish_Nelson94_0-1606732822070.png

As you can observe, in the output section, It duplicating the same row for the female header as well where the Value is the same.

I was hoping if you could assist me with this step.It would be a great help.

Many Thanks,

Ashish Nelson

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Ran the problem, then looked and saw others with the same issues I found with the data not matching the solution.  I'm thinking there is a possible blog article to write on this.

Spoiler
Workflow 243.jpg

peter_gb
9 - Comet

Here's my attempt

Spoiler
challenge_243_pgb.png
JITHINPR
8 - Asteroid

my solution

JustinBabbitt
Alteryx
Alteryx

This reminds me of.... Yakko's World 

Spoiler
JustinBabbitt_0-1607004048577.png

Justin Babbitt
ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Like everyone else my solution didn't match the one provided.

I also think there may be an error on the female population page for Peru which is the same exact number as Dominican Republic, so depending on whether you calculate the pct male vs. total or vs. female you get a different answer as well.

ggruccio_0-1607118013122.png

ErikaLoz
7 - Meteor

my solution!

use a macro to read and clean data

macro:

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 1.29.17 pm.png

answers:

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 1.29.04 pm.png

kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

Like most everyone else, my answers don't match the solution (but I feel like I can defend my answers!)

My answers:

Spoiler
kelly_gilbert_0-1607147230184.png

For question 1, I used year < current year 
For question 3, I used year = 2100

Workflow:

Spoiler
kelly_gilbert_2-1607147855237.png

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

just like @Aaron_Harter  - I took a dynamic approach to reading in the sheets

Spoiler
Used a batch macro - similar to using a dynamic input, except it allows you more freedom to play with the values that you want to alter.

Screenshot 2020-12-06 174527.png