Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #243: Odd Man Out

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

A solution to last week's challenge can be found hereSource: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GenderSource: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender

In general, there are slightly more men than women in the world. According to the United Nations, the number of men is rising gradually each year since 1960. However, some statistics show this is not the case in certain countries. In former Soviet republics, for example, women outnumber men. Conversely, there are more men than women in Asia, Arab countries, and Northern Africa, but what about in Latin America?

This Input data for this challenge is an Excel file containing data with the long-term population estimates and projections from 1950 to 2100. Use it to answer the following questions:

1. What was the last year in which there were more men than women in a Latin American country?
2. In what year will the percentage of men in a Latin American country reach the lowest point according to this dataset?
3. Is there any chance that it will be more men than women by 2100? In which Latin American country?

Blake
12 - Quasar

My answers differed from the given answers a bit but I am confident in them. 

Spoiler
243.png

Edit: I dug into the data set a bit and found that Peru and the Dominican Republic had the same population values for women for each year. 

Spoiler
data1.png

Edit added video walkthrough

Spoiler

dsmdavid
11 - Bolide

Slightly different results (and similar to @Blake 's above)

Spoiler
dsmdavid_0-1606143194739.png

Aaron_Harter
11 - Bolide

Fun challenge! I decided to use a Batch Macro to read in the sheets dynamically, and reported the answers using the reporting tools:

Spoiler
243.2.PNG
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My solution. Perfect match with Output.

Spoiler
I feel that it is difficult for a beginner tag.

AkimasaKajitani_0-1606144066500.png

DeanWest
9 - Comet

I also got slightly different results than the provided solution.

Spoiler
challenge_243_soultion-DeanWest-snippet-2.png
paulfound
11 - Bolide
Spoiler
PaulFound_1-1606145373747.png

PaulFound_2-1606145383738.png

Pretty sure this is right, doesn't match the example output though.  

Tony_Castillo
9 - Comet

Answer 1 Countries different from output but match others who have submitted to date.Results may vary further depending on your Year filter logic, i.e. < 2020 or <= 2020. Year filter can also impact Answer 3. I kept 2020 out of my Answer 3 to match given output. 

Spoiler
TC_bot_0-1606145416952.png

Greg_Murray
12 - Quasar

No better way to start a Monday. 

My results are in line with @Blake's output. 

Spoiler
Greg_Murray_0-1606145687770.png

JennyMartin
9 - Comet
Spoiler
AWC243M.PNGAWC243.PNG

As mentioned by others, my answers are slightly different to the Output file! Video solution here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nZq7dlX_0Q&list=PL18SpOXDj-KMUD4YwWC5vZaUsIa7drxNZ&index=47