Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #242: Meet Me Halfway

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I couldn't decide which way I wanted to go and so I went with a couple.

Spoiler
The first one finds the centroid for each region and then finds the nearest office to that. This is quick, but does it definitely minimise distance? So the second one actually does the calcs on the distance to work out the min. 
KaneG_0-1605575143727.png

TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Here's my solution. Kudos to @Jonathan-Sherman! I started down the same path but ran into a snag

Spoiler
Couldn't figure out how to create the centroid. Kept looking at the spatial tools and forgot all about Summarize. That's what's so great about these challenges. I'm always learning something new..

2020-11-16_17-53-10.png
Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Here is my solution !

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Very much fun one!

Spoiler
en-242.PNG
JennyMartin
9 - Comet
Spoiler
AWC242.PNG

Always fun to use the spatial tools! Video solution here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2yVymR0ERo&list=PL18SpOXDj-KMUD4YwWC5vZaUsIa7drxNZ&index=46

Greg_Murray
12 - Quasar

This was a fun one. 

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Longer than some solutions, but feel this is robust incase the data changes to always find the nearest, instead of incorrectly matching to a nearby location in a different region.

Spoiler
cgoodman3_0-1605649689304.png

Chris
Check out my collaboration with fellow ACE Joshua Burkhow at AlterTricks.com
balajilolla
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Solution Attached

balajilolla_0-1605650496766.png

ACW
6 - Meteoroid

Learned something new, group by region and create centroid, that reduced the steps needed to knock out the task. thx!

Nanoq
8 - Asteroid

Im looking forward to seeing some other replies to this, i dont think my solution scales particularly well