Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #239: SEND + MORE = MONEY

Raj_Singh1
9 - Comet

My Iterative Macro Solution

TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This takes a ridiculously long time to run but will work for any three elements for any binary operator. It even works for inequalities. If you want to run this, don't try it with the given equation unless you have a couple of hours (it did give the right answer). But I've tested it with small expressions (+, -, *, /) and it can solve for four unique digits in about 30 seconds.

Raj_Singh1
9 - Comet

thanks @TonyA unfortunately i cant run and explore your workflow as i have 2019.2 version of Alteryx due to available support for that version. 

once again for your Solution 🙂

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Lots of fun!

Spoiler
Although I got a different answer if I allowed numbers to start with "0" about 25 combinations.  Did it without macros etc.

ggruccio_0-1604328683789.png

Tokimatsu
12 - Quasar

Solved! SEND + MORE = MONEY, GAME + BEST = GAMER

Spoiler
2020-11-03_15h57_06.png

phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Not gonna lie, this one stumped me for a while. 

Spoiler
Workflow:
239a.PNG
Macro:
239b.PNG
mustel
8 - Asteroid

I refused to Append 8 times so used Generate Rows, still used a brute force approach but changing data type and filtering early, coupled with cache and run helped me solve this one!

Nice challenge, took me a while!

Spoiler
mustel_0-1604439642147.png

justas002
7 - Meteor

Intensive data processing, but it works!

balajilolla
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Solution Attached

balajilolla_0-1604639742903.png

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This is a great example of Alteryx needing an Execute function to treat a string as a formula.

I got this a different way than the other solutions that I've seen - solution below.

Spoiler
3 steps:
- find all the unique letters
- generate all the valid combinations (I didn't exclude anything by partially solving the equation some folk have done)
- then do a dynamic execution on the valid combinations to see if they evaluate to true or not.

UniqueLetters.pngValid Combinations - 2.pngTry each combo.pngDynamicReplace.png