Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #239: SEND + MORE = MONEY

Chandra1234
5 - Atom

Good One. Used a brute force solution.

mbogusz
9 - Comet
Spoiler
EhEh
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

I tried to come up with a solution which was as dynamic as possible and I think I managed to achieve just that.

I spent quite some time wondering why I was getting 25 potential solutions instead of 1, until thankfully I read @dsmdavid comment who also faced the same issue.

On the downside, I had to make a compromise on runtime since for example if words are formed from 8 distinct letters that can take 10 unique values, there are 10^8 different combinations that can occur.

Workflow

Spoiler
Screenshot 2020-10-27 015157.jpg

Iterative Macro

Spoiler
Screenshot 2020-10-27 015227.jpg

DaisukeTsuchiya
13 - Pulsar

This solution will work only for this problem not for general problems.

Spoiler
キャプチャ.JPG

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Brute force as the macro was taking too long to run.

Spoiler
Workflow 239.jpg

huynv96
9 - Comet

Wow, interested challenge! Thanks

Spoiler
I used Brute Force and batch macro to solve it. It takes 1h40m lol =))
Definetly not a good way
image.png
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

This is brutal..

Spoiler
en-239.PNG
jasperlch
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
Capture1.PNG
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
Definitely could be a little more dynamic but this works
Kenda_0-1603803157376.png

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Well this one was a doozy. 

Spoiler
My main goal in this one was to make it flexible (to allow for other verbal arithmetic problems that might vary in length) and to not just throw 71098 tools on the canvas. Both objectives were... challenging. But I'm pleased with the final result!

The general approach I took was to create all the combinations of 8 numbers between 0-9 (since there are only 8 unique letters in the problem), and then use a sweet RegEx approach I developed years ago where you build the RegEx find string and replace string based on the data (allowing for flexibility of length and pattern of letters). Fun to come full circle and re-use something I built for work almost 3 years ago!! If interested in the original use case for dynamic RegEx building, check out A Particularly Problematic Parsing Example example in Use Cases 🙂

WeeklyChallenge239.JPG
Ended up with an iterative macro in this one too, which always gives me that warm & fuzzy feeling... 🙂

Change-My-Mind.jpg

Iterates through the combinations of numbers by generating 10 rows of data every time, for numbers 0-9, and then filtering out any values that have already appeared in the combination. Concatenates the new value on to the end of the original combo string, then iterates through again until you reach the desired number of numbers (i.e. unique letters in your problem).

WeeklyChallenge239Macro.JPG

Cheers!

NJ