Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #234: Spell It Out For Me - Part 1

AntonioNeri
6 - Meteoroid
Spoiler
My approach was to first sort the amounts in descending order to get a quick view of the largest and smallest numbers and if there was any negative figure among the records. Then I used the Select tool to transform the Amount field into a string so I could alter it later with some string formulas. I tried to parse the Amounts into their whole and fractional parts using the decimal point right away, but this proved to be problematic since there were two records showing only integers -with no decimal fraction and therefore without a decimal point. The output for such records was "Null". Given this situation, I opted to use a conditional formula to add ".00" to any record not containing a decimal point.
After, I used another Formula tool to create a pair of fields for the length of the whole and the fraction part of the amounts. With the help of a Summarize tool, I could determine the maximum lengths of each of those fields in order to plan enough columns for the final output. Of course, this might be redundant given the fact that a final version of the output is provided within the challenge file and that the whole set consists of only 50 lines. But in case the result is not known a priori and for larger data sets, this information could be quite useful.
Then, I used another couple of formulas within the same tool to fill out the missing 0's to the left of the whole and to the right of the fractional amounts so all of them were the same length. One additional formula to get a column with the decimal point.
Thanks to a couple of RegEx tool I split the digits of the whole and fraction fields.
Finally, I used a Select tool to keep and rearrange the relevant fields and to set their length to 1 character. With a Sort tool, I reset the records to their original order based on their ID.
AntonioNeri
6 - Meteoroid

Quite elegant solution, remarkable. Thaks for showing the process of your solution in such a clear way.

Kudos!

DaisukeTsuchiya
13 - Pulsar

Solved with two method.

Spoiler
キャプチャ.JPG
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My solution.

Spoiler
AkimasaKajitani_0-1600740144933.png

I'm looking forward to Part 2.

Miles_Waller
8 - Asteroid

Got it! This one was relatively simpler than other previous challenges, but still a good one.

Spoiler
Challenge_Screenshot.JPG

kelvin_law1
9 - Comet

Here is my solution:

Spoiler
kelvinlaw_0-1600748735006.png
jasperlch
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
Capture.PNG
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Here is my solution to Challenge #234.

Spoiler
grazitti_sapna_0-1600762463506.png

Sapna Gupta
jgosalia
7 - Meteor

Spoiler

hanykowska
11 - Bolide

That was fun!

Decided to make an automatic approach with the column names specifying the part of the numbers as multplication of ten - to get back to the original number, the only thing you need to do is

Spoiler
stick a transpose, convert name and value to numbers, multiply them, and sum up for each ID

My solution:

Spoiler
hanykowska_0-1600762834079.png
hanykowska_1-1600762851309.png