Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #232: That's Sew 2020

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

A solution to last week’s challenge can be found hereSource: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-to-make-cloth-face-covering.htmlSource: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-to-make-cloth-face-covering.html

With the sudden need for masks around the globe, sewing has seen an increase in popularity. Many local communities have asked their citizens to pitch in and provide masks to create a sufficient supply. These masks are usually created by sewing a pattern with at least 2 layers of fabric.

In the attached datasets, we have the number of masks created by a local community known as Bastille St. Below that, we also have the number of masks created by local companies and independent contractors for the same community. Use this data to find the total number of masks produced by each group for each mask size and the total number of masks produced by each group.

As a bonus challenge, use the additional table of fabric requirements to determine the total number of cotton bundles that were used by each individual/group. Each bundle of cotton is 122cm x 100 cm and color coded so you can only use each bundle for one size of mask. Remember that they are 2 layers thick!

Aaron_Harter
11 - Bolide

Sew very interesting challenge!

Spoiler
232.2.PNG
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Using the Crosstab to conveniently add the totals.

Spoiler
PhilipMannering_0-1599576533695.png

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

My solution! Tried to be as efficient as possible with the number of tools used on both challenges.

Spoiler
For the bundles, it was definitely important to determine which was more efficient - to use the fabric while it was oriented vertically, or oriented horizontally. 

WeeklyChallenge232.JPG

Cheers!

NJ

Blake
12 - Quasar

My sewing machine isn't working properly. 

Spoiler
It just seams a little off. 

Spoiler

232.png

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
Updated version of the CReW Add Totals macro to the rescue!
Kenda_0-1599574886257.png

hanykowska
11 - Bolide

Cool, learned something new!

Spoiler
Did the first approach my way, then had a look at the replies and saw @PhilipMannering mentioning crosstab tool so decided to give it a go. I was very happy to see total row and total column which saves a number of tools as you can see in the screenshot below!

hanykowska_0-1599577936993.png

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Interesting challenge. 

Spoiler
232.png
jasperlch
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
Capture.PNG
paulfound
11 - Bolide
Spoiler
PaulFound_0-1599580822324.png

PaulFound_1-1599580859903.png
PaulFound_2-1599580872837.png

@Blake even thought that joke was sew bad, it had me in stitches!