Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #229: Trend Analysis

RichoBsJ
11 - Bolide

Hi! Here my solution 🙂

TramT
6 - Meteoroid

Enjoyed this one - have never had to manually calculate a trend line before.

A few minor cosmetic tweaks, and used the batch feature of the interactive chart tool for the first time.

Spoiler
TramT_1-1599448152988.png
TramT_3-1599448177744.png

SamDesk
11 - Bolide
Spoiler
Annotation 2020-09-08 222030.png

Sam 🙂

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

I didn't want to combine or calculate the data twice, so I put the calculation into a standard macro.

Result 229.png

Spoiler
Macro 229.png

Workflow 229.png

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Challenge 229 is done, thanks @AngelosPachis for explaining the trend line equations!

Workflow:

Spoiler
challenge 229 JMS solution.PNG

Output:

Spoiler
challenge 229 JMS Output.PNG
soha-elghany
8 - Asteroid

interesting challenge, I learnt a lot

saideepuikey
6 - Meteoroid

Enjoyed the challenge of formatting.

JonathanAllenby
8 - Asteroid

Here's my solution and output.

Spoiler
JonathanAllenby_0-1600869531763.png

JonathanAllenby_1-1600869554924.png

kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

Interesting challenge - thanks @wwatson!

Spoiler
As others did, I recognized the formula as a least-squares regression line, so I also used the Linear Regression tool to generate the trend values. For this particular problem, the standard tools were much faster than the predictive tools.

Also, as others did, I packaged the chart creation in a macro, so it could be reused for multiple KPIs. Of course, in this case, there isn't a real business reason to let the user pick between predictive vs. standard tools, since they produce the same output! I just wanted to keep it all in one workflow, since the spirit of the challenge was to use standard tools. Plus, it's always good to get some practice with the Detour tools!

Macro:

kelly_gilbert_2-1601239667949.png

Outer workflow:

kelly_gilbert_3-1601239795107.png

Output:

Spoiler
Truncated y-axis on an area-based chart is a pet peeve of mine, so, like many others, I chose to start both axes at zero 🙂 

Capture.PNG
JethroChen
10 - Fireball
Spoiler
challenge_229_jc.PNG