Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #228: Know Your Boundaries

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

A solution to last week’s challenge can be found hereSource: https://www.nps.gov/miss/riverfacts.htmSource: https://www.nps.gov/miss/riverfacts.htm

The Mississippi River, also known as the Mighty Mississippi, is the 4th longest river in the world and the largest in North America. The river has always played an important role in the societies that inhabit the surrounding lands by supporting trade, serving as a method of transportation, and draining much of the eastern portion of North America for thousands of years. The river has even been central in the arts, taking prominent roles in the writings of Mark Twain and the musical Show Boat.

The river also serves as a boundary marking portions of the borders between 10 US States. For this week's challenge, use the state shapefiles to create an approximation of the Mississippi River where it forms boundaries between states. The final output should run from the supplied Start point to the End point.

Aaron_Harter
11 - Bolide

Problem solving with the spatial tools is a great way to start the week!

Spoiler
wc228_ss.png

(edit 8/10 11:52 CT) video of solution overview:

Spoiler
Blake
12 - Quasar

What did the ocean say to the river?

Spoiler
I appreciate the sediment. 

228.png
dsmdavid
11 - Bolide

Interesting challenge. Kind of works, provided you don't look too close at the border.

Spoiler
dsmdavid_0-1597071652392.png

johnemery
11 - Bolide

I spent more time than I usually would on this challenge. I got a "solution" a few different ways, but was never fully satisfied with them: too many tools, gaps in the line, etc.

I am happy with this solution: relatively few tools, easy to understand, and (as far as I can tell) it creates a smooth, continuous Mississippi River line.

Spoiler
Capture.PNG

View my solution video here:

Spoiler
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
Kenda_0-1597073411412.png

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula