Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #226: Flex-Ability

Inactive User
Not applicable

Solved! 🙂

bbaker
7 - Meteor

This week's flex-ability solution!

Spoiler
bbaker_0-1597438473261.png

rmassambane
10 - Fireball

226! Nice one.

mike_w
8 - Asteroid

I tried to do all the different options I could come up with. 

For one the results were slightly off: 

I drew draw trading areas between both points with radius = distance, then find the centroids' X,Y coordinates of the intersection object: this introduces a small error:

-112.0293      |       36.88052

instead of 

-111.4566      |       36.80255

I was careful making sure all calculations were done w doubles. 

Is there any was to prevent this, or is it just the nature of (some of) the spacial tools?

Thanks!

Spoiler
mike_w_0-1597524614205.png

mustel
8 - Asteroid

This works, but I can't figure out my first idea of creating a trade area for each office that overlaps, then extracting the two points where they match, the centre of this line will also be the centre of the two offices. If anyone knows how to do this I would be interested.

Spoiler
mustel_0-1597614319113.png

mike_w
8 - Asteroid

Hi mustel we had very similar ideas, my entry is just the one before your entry take a look if you like: I created an intersect object (rather than a line) and then determined the Centroids X and Y values. However, this method seems to introduce a small error - nevertheless, it works! 

AnaisComyn
9 - Comet

Finish 😉

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Here is my solution !

I think it's the first time my solution is not much longer than others LOL! Gotta love Spatial tools!

Spoiler
226.JPG

JoshuaGostick
11 - Bolide

My solution

Spoiler
challenge_226.PNG