Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #226: Flex-Ability

Tony_Castillo
9 - Comet
Spoiler
TC_bot_0-1595877712330.png

Nothing better than starting the week off with a little Trig, Lots of ways to tackle this one. First time using Spatial and was easier than anticipated. 

TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This is far from a beginner's challenge if you really want to get a correct answer. A not very accurate solution is attached.

Spoiler
2020-07-27_12-39-40.png
The solution provided in the start file just averages the coordinates of the endpoints. That would work if the earth was flat. I was looking for a point on a line (segment of a great circle) connecting Irvine and Broomfield that is equidistant from the two cities. None of these solutions get me there. The last is closest, it's still about six miles away from center and about a mile from the line.

nigelsh
6 - Meteoroid
Spoiler
challenge 226.PNG
bsanders2009
8 - Asteroid

I like using spatial tools because I don't know them well and this is a great way to learn.

Workflow:

Spoiler
bsanders2009_0-1595881750124.png

I used the Report Map tool to duplicate the map provided in the example:

Spoiler
bsanders2009_1-1595881812865.png

dsmdavid
11 - Bolide
Spoiler
Absurdly proud of the main approach here. Back to primary school...
dsmdavid_0-1595881862678.png

Compass and bisector. Kind of. Shame Earth is not properly flat.Compass and bisector. Kind of. Shame Earth is not properly flat.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Still weak about spatial...

Spoiler
226-en.PNG
Sashikumar
8 - Asteroid

Multiple option 🙂 

ch_226.PNG

szade1
8 - Asteroid