Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #226: Flex-Ability

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

A solution to last week’s challenge can be found heremap.png

Weekly challenges are a great way to experiment with some tools in Designer that you don't normally get to use. They are also a great way to experiment with new methods of solving when you check out the ways other people solved the same challenge. Everyone has their favorite tools and it's easy to have a go-to method when presented with a given challenge.

This week, the challenge is to use some mental flexibility while solving. The dataset provided has x,y coordinates for our Irvine and Broomfield offices. Your challenge is to find 3 different ways of solving the problem: Find the x,y coordinates of the point that lies exactly in the middle of these two offices.

Aaron_Harter
11 - Bolide

Fun challenge to start the week!

Spoiler
1.PNG

(edit 7/27 10:21 CT) video of solution overview::

Spoiler

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Really Fun challenge. Exited to see others approach.

Spoiler

atcodedog05_0-1595855209624.png

Cheers and Happy Analyzing : )

jasperlch
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
Capture.PNG
Blake
12 - Quasar

Excited to see all the ways to solve this problem! 

Spoiler
I added a map for good measure.

226.png

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
I overcomplicated my spatial approach.
patrick_digan_0-1595857945200.png

purnimat
7 - Meteor

Using Spatial tools for the first time !

Spoiler

purnimat_0-1595858867221.png

etzele
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
etzele_0-1595859453102.png

The last one got a bit longer!

Spalders
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Spalders_0-1595860002178.png

I could only see how to do this with averaging the points with the summation tool. Looking at the other posted solutions I have now learnt a lot more about spatial objects.

hanykowska
11 - Bolide

This was a very fun challenge to go through!

Although I think my solutions #1 and '2 are very similar... so I will be looking through what others did and see what other approaches are there 🙂

Spoiler
hanykowska_0-1595860021627.png

#1 - create points, use summarize to combine two rows, then use spatial info to get the centroid
#2 - similar to the above but use poly build to create a poly line instead, then use spatial info to get the centroid
#3 - reshape the data to have locations as separate columns, find the average for long and lat, reshape the data again for locations to go down the rows and create points