Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #220: Hedge Detection

Tberney
8 - Asteroid

Should have used the spatial process cut option, but instead I brute forced the hedge lengths

Tberney_0-1592415745423.png

RichoBsJ
11 - Bolide

Hi! Really nice challenge! Here my solution 🙂

sonyakasenkramer
8 - Asteroid

This one was tougher that it looked! I was unable to keep my eyes on my own paper. HT to @T_Willins for finding an elegant and obvious solution to the total hedge length that I 100% ripped off.

Spoiler
sonyakasenkramer_1-1592432719919.png

Tberney
8 - Asteroid

Reposting, tracker seems to have missed it.

Tberney_0-1592456062758.png

MikeN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Interesting challenge!

Curious what kind of use case this might help with, particularly in the world of farming@wwatson or anyone else?

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Challenge 220 is done! Went for as few tools as possible, managed to get it down to 9 tools eventually, so thankful to the spatial functions available in the formula tool!
(included a text input for reference table to create the fields)

Spoiler
image.png
dsmdavid
11 - Bolide

I admit defeat. As @TonyA I tried several approaches to avoid any hard-coding, but was trumped by some of the irregular shapes.

Spoiler
This was one of the best attempts (and the only one I saved)...
challenge_220.gif
M-O should be an edge. Then things would be easier...

So I went with an input text with the vertices as others have done.

Spoiler
dsmdavid_0-1592492294958.png

I reuse some of the tools I created while trying the not-hard-coding... not all was lost.

jdiorio20
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
jdiorio20_0-1592501731004.png

My solution definitely isn't dynamic. I'm curious if anyone else has developed a dynamic response?

Tberney
8 - Asteroid

Great question. I assume you mean how to dynamically define the points that make up each field, and how to get them in order to make a proper polygon I did not solve that one either, although I think the text input I used is a bit cleaner than what you did.

After that, though, my solution is dynamic (attached). Messy - I'm sure there's a better way to compute hedge length than what I did.

Congrats!

JonMcMillin
8 - Asteroid

Getting the inner hedge length was really challenging! 

Spoiler
JonMcMillin_0-1592543986530.png