Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #220: Hedge Detection

Tberney
8 - Asteroid

Should have used the spatial process cut option, but instead I brute forced the hedge lengths

Tberney_0-1592415745423.png

RichoBsJ
11 - Bolide

Hi! Really nice challenge! Here my solution 🙂

sonyakasenkramer
8 - Asteroid

This one was tougher that it looked! I was unable to keep my eyes on my own paper. HT to @T_Willins for finding an elegant and obvious solution to the total hedge length that I 100% ripped off.

Spoiler
sonyakasenkramer_1-1592432719919.png

Tberney
8 - Asteroid

Reposting, tracker seems to have missed it.

Tberney_0-1592456062758.png

MikeN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Interesting challenge!

Curious what kind of use case this might help with, particularly in the world of farming@wwatson or anyone else?

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Challenge 220 is done! Went for as few tools as possible, managed to get it down to 9 tools eventually, so thankful to the spatial functions available in the formula tool!
(included a text input for reference table to create the fields)

Spoiler
image.png
dsmdavid
11 - Bolide

I admit defeat. As @TonyA I tried several approaches to avoid any hard-coding, but was trumped by some of the irregular shapes.

Spoiler
This was one of the best attempts (and the only one I saved)...
challenge_220.gif
M-O should be an edge. Then things would be easier...

So I went with an input text with the vertices as others have done.

Spoiler
dsmdavid_0-1592492294958.png

I reuse some of the tools I created while trying the not-hard-coding... not all was lost.

jdiorio20
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
jdiorio20_0-1592501731004.png

My solution definitely isn't dynamic. I'm curious if anyone else has developed a dynamic response?

Tberney
8 - Asteroid

Great question. I assume you mean how to dynamically define the points that make up each field, and how to get them in order to make a proper polygon I did not solve that one either, although I think the text input I used is a bit cleaner than what you did.

After that, though, my solution is dynamic (attached). Messy - I'm sure there's a better way to compute hedge length than what I did.

Congrats!

JonMcMillin
8 - Asteroid

Getting the inner hedge length was really challenging! 

Spoiler
JonMcMillin_0-1592543986530.png