Weekly Challenge

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!
IDEAS WANTED

We're actively looking for ideas on how to improve Weekly Challenges and would love to hear what you think!

Submit Feedback
We've recently made an accessibility improvement to the community and therefore posts without any content are no longer allowed. Please use the spoiler feature or add a short message in the message body in order to submit your weekly challenge.

Challenge #220: Hedge Detection

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

A solution to last week’s challenge can be found hereField.png

This week's challenge was submitted by @wwatson - Thanks for your submission!

In this week's challenge, a farmer has 7 fields which are all bound by hedges. He provides you with a series of spatial points defining the corners of the fields.

He would like you to calculate the total area of the farm in Sq Km, the perimeter of the farm in Km, the area and perimeter of each field and the total length of the hedges on the farm.

Highlighted
Alteryx Partner

I hate my solution. I think it's far too "hard-coded" but I couldn't see how to solve the problem more dynamically.

Very tricky!

Spoiler
Capture.PNG

View my solution video here:

Spoiler

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

The convergence of farming & analytics!

Spoiler
220clean.PNG

(edit 6/15 9:48 CT) video of solution overview:

Spoiler

Highlighted
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

This was a fun one!

Spoiler
Kenda_0-1592227992226.png

That was a tough one, love the curve ball! 

Spoiler
220.png

What do farmers use to make crop circles?

Spoiler
A pro-tractor.

Ok fine, one more... 

What did the baby corn say to the mama corn? 

Spoiler
Where is popcorn? 

Highlighted
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide
Spoiler
Bit of brute force with building the look up table, but couldn't think of another way of creating each farm.

Challenge 220.PNG
Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Also very hardcoded solution, looking forward to the seeing the original solution. Nevertheless, fun challenge!

Spoiler
hanykowska_0-1592231403641.png

hanykowska_1-1592231421865.png

Highlighted

I rarely work with spatial ...  my solution is not as flexible as I would like. And I guess certainly not as simple as it could be.

Spoiler
220.png
Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

I also had to hard code some items and I needed some help on the "Total Hedge Length" but it's always good to get more practice with tools I don't use very often.

Spoiler
220.PNG
Highlighted

This was fun! But you definitely need to think a bit before starting.

Spoiler
My Resulting dataset:
Spoiler
I wanted to show the details rather than append the totals to each row so the farmers can decide whether they want to split the costs for shared fences and suchI wanted to show the details rather than append the totals to each row so the farmers can decide whether they want to split the costs for shared fences and such

My Workflow:
Spoiler
Initial change made:
Spoiler
220 input change.jpg

Full Workflow:
Spoiler
220 workflow.jpg